Routing CDR into crankcase?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The CDR is a VERY simple device. Even if the Diaphragm is damaged, it''ll still work as it's designed to. The ONLY thing the diaphragm is there for is in the REMOTE circumstance that You ever get enough VACUUM to pull the CDR closed.(which Our engines will more than likely NEVER do. Even less likely with a turbo) Then it's supposed to shut, and stop the engine from pulling a vacuum from the crankcase.

The theory is that IF the engine pulls vacuum from the crankcase, it could possibly pull oil out of the engine, and feed it into the combustion chamber. In theory there would be a run away engine, self feeding itself crankcase oil. IF that ever happened, the key would be useless. And the only way to stop the engine would be to stop the oil flow (fuel) or stop the air flow.

That is the very base function of the unit. The overall function is a bit more complicated. It is not a crankcase depression shutoff, it is a crankcase depression regulator, and aptly named, it regulates the pressure in the crankcase in a kind of push me-pull you type of balance designed to maintain specific presures pos\neg at different RPMS

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Not trying to argue with You, but it doesn't regulate anything.

Think about it. It's supposed to regulate at a certain RPM's??

Well, with that theory it'd be closed when You needed it most, at HIGH RPM, when the most pressure would be built in the crank case. Oil'd be squirting outta every seal on dyoungs rig!

There is crank case pressure on the back side of the diaphragm. But the 1"+ openings flow so much air that the ONLY thing that can close it, is a pretty large supply of vacuum. I've applied My vacuum pump to the intake side and could NEVER get enough vacuum to close the diaphragm.

It's just a glorified shut off valve.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Convert to an RDT and then we don't have to debate it. LOL

I myself DO prefer the Banks adapter over the valve cover option for a hose location. I tried the hole in the valve cover deal, and that made a sloppy mess. The Banks adapter however, has proved itself very usable. A key way to keep the oil from accumulating it to force the vapor uphill. As you can see in the picture of the Moose Truck engine bay, the RDT goes up and over to the passenger side. This 1 foot or so "loop" thwarts a lot of the accumulated oil from exiting, and forces it to drain back in.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory turbo with the CDR mounted on the valve cover has a large baffle inside the valve cover to prevent sucking straight oil. I assume those that are trying a valve cover mount in a std. valve cover have no baffle and experience poor results.

As far as a oil vapor line I to the exhaust is concerned, my brief experience so far has been negative. I installed a tube in my exhaust at a 45 degree angle with a 45 degree slash cut. I varried the depth. I installed a vacuum guage and got no suction at any rpm. In fact I got 3 psi of pressure! Not good for the engine. Mine is a factory turbo with 3" turbo outlet, downpipe, and full Banks exhaust. I am running the muffler but will delete it soon to see if my back pressure goes away. Exhaust scavenging in the exhaust relies on negative pulses to draw out the oil vapors. A turbo reduces these substantially.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online