rockers and lifters

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
OK so has anyone that built one of these engines used the roller lifters from redline on eBay I'm planning a build and was thinking about trying them out. Also will a BB ford roller rocker fit these heads or are there ones available for the 7.3? Thanks in advance

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Without seeing or reading a part number on the redline lifters most all I can say is I don't know. Please.... You have to give us more information that this if your expecting an educated answer...:rolleyes:

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing about the rockers. I just havent had a big block roller rocker to play with to see if it could be adapted to work. the offset is the problem I see and needing some sort of push rod guide plate and hardened push rods the correct size. and custom taller valve covers might be needed.:dunno

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Custom valve covers seems easy enough. Hmmm, I may need to tear a big block apart, to bad the owner of the local scrap yard is saving the 460s.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny how hypermax only shows enough rockers for a v or straight six engine. Anybody else see just 12 rockers....:rolleyes::dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those rockers are for the 300 and 400 series IH DT's. Not IDI's or PSD's. That's why you only see 12, they are intended for an inline six cylinder (DT360 or DT466). No...... they can't be used on an IDI.......we don't have a rocker shaft in our heads.:D

Heath

Last edited:

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I have found new lifters and valves on eBay from a place called redline they claim to be a supplier for engine rebuilders everywhere the y also carry pistons up to. 40 over and full gasket sets with bearings and rings feedback is good but the prices just don't jive they seem way low but I may try them out who knows maybe they are decent. If I do go this route there will be a full write up as well as the machine shop I'm gonna use

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The liters used in the idi is the same as the 6.2 and 6.5 chevy diesel engine. Also the same as the psd engines. They are kind of a generaic liter used by many differant engines. Mose than I posted here. The only rockers available today are the newer.better 7.3 rocker. The older 6.9 rocker had an aluminum fulcrum in them. That didn't wear too well. They are the rockers with the bridge between the intake and exhaust valves. Usually ebay has lifters listed all the time. Figure $160.00 for a set but.. You can find them for as low as $90.00 per set...:sly I think typ4 (Russ) rebuilds them too so might give him a call.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I have found new lifters and valves on eBay from a place called redline they claim to be a supplier for engine rebuilders everywhere the y also carry pistons up to. 40 over and full gasket sets with bearings and rings feedback is good but the prices just don't jive they seem way low but I may try them out who knows maybe they are decent. If I do go this route there will be a full write up as well as the machine shop I'm gonna use

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to look and make sure the exhaust valves are inconel or have a stellite face. Those are less likely to be a problem down the road, especially if you are going to turbo your truck. I see you have NOS on there per your sig. And, boring a 7.3 is a risky proposition, I hope you don't need 40 over pistons. If so...... sleeve the block rather than bore it.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online