Roasted another one

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep killed the clutch... South Bend Con O is slipping yet again...

So what do we think I should go with?

Remember my plan is to part with said truck in 18 months so let's keep the cost down as I don't think I want to throw buckets of money at this - read let the next guy do that...

I'm looking at the LUK Pro Gold because I tow and don't want the chattering that the Cerametallics are known for. I have to back our trailer up a pretty decent grade to park it in the driveway and the ON/OFF approach is not quite going to be the best thing for me. I'm not sure if I want to stuff another CON O in there seeing as how this one last for the entire length of 17,288 miles, when I can pick up a LUK for jsut a little over 300 clams...

Had a conversation with Dial A Clutch last spring when I shot the CON O out then and they recommended the Pro Gold but since Peter with SBC covered that clutch cost... I'm not even going to call him this time because I know he's not going to cover this one - Heck I wouldn't even cover this one.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the heck are you going to do in 18 months? If you are coming back down to the basement, today is a better time than tomorrow ;Sweet Remember my comments on product failure analysis in another post? :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
In 18 months I'm gonna get me one them thar elektronik ones with the 24 valves.

After having this one I know that I want to get back into 4x4 (so I can drive up my driveway in the winter) and I want short bed (for fitment in garage) then we want quad (make for stuffing the kiddies in the back easier), then I want a stick because it's easier to replace clutches than it is autos... Oh and I want it bright fire engine red.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Travis, if you haven't heat fractured the pressure plate ;Really why not just replace the friction disc and surface the F/W and pressure plate.
A friction disc can't be too much $$$$ ;Sweet

I have the OFE :thumbsup: for when I get my new squirters and twildman tunes:smoke:

You really considering leaving the mech inj world and going fly by wire :confused:
I thought the early 12 valves were cost efficient to bomb..........

Definatly get 4x4 next time.....backing up with a bolt action is as easy as a slush box :D ......just drop in 4 low....let out the clutch and it's just like an auto ;Sweet
I have no trouble at all backing up the 16' flatbed in the red clay we call 'grease' -cuss {red clay with mica}
Up hill grades and loose gravel are not that bad either.....by using 4low you all but eliminate the herky-jerkyness of working the clutch!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I'm sure the shop won't want to just throw a disc at it and call it a day - they have to put their name on it. I have a shop here locally that will swap the unit out for 250 clams if I come carting the box in - they don't deal in perf clutches just just refer them across town to purchase that.

Talked to the tranny shop here and he thinks that maybe I have a hydraulic problem in that maybe my slave cyl is not releasing all the way - Don't know and I'm not crawling under it to check. So I'll have to make an appt to have him look at it. He is familuar with SBC and doesn't think the clutch is toast yet because I have only slipped it 2 twice that I know of :angel: (first time was HUH - second time was to see if I could repeat it).

Now for wanting to leave the mechanical injection realm... well I like the fact that one can turn up the power and not get your hands dirty, plus they are making these ones now that you can crank the power up via your handy dandy PDA on the fly from my understanding :thumbsup: I'm sure that cost is high but it's very cool... Plus I don't want to own another truck with rust so I figure that the only way I can do that is keep trading them before they rust - this one was ****** to snow before it came to live with me - figure 3 winters will start to really take it toll on it so I'll part with it while it still has some resale value. (1 winter down and heading into number 2)...