Riddle me this....

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys ive had my truck now a week exactly....whooo!

anyways i havent had a lick of trouble other than today.... i get off work and get fuel at the local citgo. i put in about 16oz of dieselkleen and fill her up and i had some left over cash so i put some fuel in the other tank too. Anyways i get back in the truck to leave and it wont start... it cranked ok at first then i had someone jump me...the truck sounded like it was wanting to hit but nothing even with shootin some either in it(i know...not good). Well i try that for about ten minutes then i finally call someone to come pick me up and im like all hell why not try it one more time...i do and she hits so off i go. i make it home, shut her down and she restarts just fine.....

IM PUZZLED>........i check my fuel/H2O seperater and its full. i would of cracked my lines but i didnt have a wrench. obviously (sp) im getting fuel and air if it got me home so i dunno......any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Jason

i went out later after eating and tried to start and nothing. i heard the solenoid click it the IP while my wife turned the key...so is the fuel cutoff solenoid bad or good ?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like your on the right track with guessing your fuel not getting to your cylinders. I would crack a injector line and crank her over to see if your getting fuel to your injectors. If your not getting fuel there work your way back till you find the source. Also might be getting air in your lines somewhere:confused:

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
need to know what year and model truck. I would bet the solenoid your hearing is the glow plug solenoid. If you put your hand on the ip cover when someone turns the key to the on/run position you should feel the solenoid in the ip move and tap the cover. if not pop your cover off, attach a ground wire and leave the electrical connections on it and you can see it move.

also if it wasnt smokeing while you where cranking on it then it wasnt getting fuel.

punk

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry its a 91 F250 4x4 7.3 n/a......it smokes so im getting fuel....i put my hand on the ip and i can feel something in it when the key is turned.

i went out about 10 minutes ago and tried it again....the truck started so i dunno whats up with it

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!:thumbsup:

Now for the truck.....:yell:
How many miles?
How old are the filters?
How old is the IP?
Have you checked the fuel solenoid by removing the plug on it?
Was this on the full tank?

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes this started happening after i filled up the truck today.....the truck has 185000. im changing the fuel water seperator tomorrow along with the air filter. i have no idea how old the ip is ...its probably original...i have unplugged the solenoid but i dont have my DVOM or test light here so i cant check it. i just got the truck last tuesday....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you disconnect the gp controller then turn the key on you can check the solenoid to see if it works. (this is the one man way, it could be done easier with two people):D
I think you will find a bad filter, or maybe a bad lift pump? what do your fuel lines look like?

Hallworth

Take Off! You Hoser
Reaction score
It seems to me that you are doing everything right. Changing the Filters is a go Idea. Start with the small things and work you way up.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
goat I grew up not far from you. I lived in North vernon, had a lot of fun in seymour and columbus, lived in indy for awhile and attended a few classes at purdue.

Welcome hoosier.

You are definetly on the right track. by the sounds of it it runs fine when warm. You either have a plugged filter or air intrusion. I had a somewhat similar problem and after I cussed and yelled for weeks trying to find it, I found my fuel filter had seperated internally and would "clunk" sidways and block fuel.

Take a step back and go over all the details and see what was different from the fill up versus every other day. something changed. could be a loose connection to the shut off solenoid too.

punk

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Should be a plug on the passenger fender? It has 2 big yellow wires. I know mine is that way but others may be in better shape?:D

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried the connection on the solenoid and punkmechanic boy would i like to move out there by you. im goin back to school this summer to purdue....im tired of working on junk lol former ford dealer tech and heavy equipment mechanic now....anyways im not pissed or anything im confused. Nothing changed whatsoever...ah well...ill change the fuel filter and air filter out tomorrow and then go from there so thanks for your help guys and ill keep ya posted

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
get some clear tubing and put in place of the return line from the back of the fuel filter housing to the #1 injector return line ( i think). if you run the truck and find bubbles in that line, you now know what your problem is.

I have clear line in place on the above mentioned and the one from the ip over to the #2 injector return line. I had issues with air intrusion and found that the plugs in the filter housing where letting air in.

also goat, check your heater connection on top of the filter housing. that is a known leak point that I had to reseal on mine.

I will post more if I think of it.

punk

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
yes this started happening after i filled up the truck today.....the truck has 185000. im changing the fuel water seperator tomorrow along with the air filter. i have no idea how old the ip is ...its probably original...i have unplugged the solenoid but i dont have my DVOM or test light here so i cant check it. i just got the truck last tuesday....

I would also VERY strongly suggest carrying a spare fuel filter/water seperator in the truck along with the wrewnch to change it and also a 1l container with diesel in it to prime the filter