Return lines leaking STILL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I assume you replaced the fuel return lines? I replaced caps once and didn't replace the old lines, those leaked like crazy shortly afterward. Are all the stabilizer clamps on the injector lines? Maybe one of the stabilizers is going bad somehow and making that injector shake more than it should? Also, I guess as a last resort you could replace the injector.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Not new hose all the time but truck wasnt ran much (less than 10 miles).

Did some lookin today between the snow squalls (thought it was spring time...?) and all the return line caps are snug and no up or down play. Didnt drive it anywhere but let it idle for about 20 minutes. I could see the dampness around the caps and rubber hose...

Next time its decent out im yanking everything off injector related and starting from step one...along with a good inspection of injectors.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that there is some amount of restriction in the return lines back to the tanks? In other words, there is a slight restriction that allows the fuel to "build up" a little more than normal in the return lines before it can makes it way back to the tanks? If the fuel was not allowed to flow freely back to the tanks the returns on engine would leak because they don't seal all that well in the first place. Sounds to me like you are **** the returns on the engine properly - this is the only other things I could think of. Kinked return hose farther back on the frame??? Could a malfunctioning FSV slow down return flow back into the tanks?? Just my thoughts. Hang in there - I thought I would never get rid off my air intrusion problem, but eventually I did. I think I installed 3 return kits before I finally got everyhting right. I put on actual Ford return caps too, and they worked, but they had burrs on them too that I had to clean up.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I replaced all the rubber in the fuel system for assurance last year (return lines, olives, fuel lines, etc) back as far as i could go. Perhaps restriction somewhere could be why i dont know.

Today once i am done with my errands im gunna give a try at installing a new set of o-rings (the ones that came with the kits, found em).

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for heat damage on the caps. I had a few bad injectors on my 6.9 before the rebuild. They would stick and allow hot combustion gases to make it to the caps. The o-rings and caps burn/melt/distort and die very quickly.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Heath makes a good statement about stuck open injecters causing caps to melt. When the engine is running and you feel a miss just touch the injecter hard lines but be careful. The bad injecter cylinder may have a hot line. If the line is hot enough to melt the plastic cap its hot enough to burn your hand or fingers.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It IS possibly the injector. I had that happen once. Easy to tell. Just move it to the other bank in an easy to get to hole and see what happens.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the half dozen times over the years ive done it I've ALWAYS had one that leaked afterwards. Its funny to be so careful and have it leak, then fix it by prying the one cap off and stretching it over the nut, twisting all the others on that bank, and setting it by hitting it with a screwdriver.

Oh well. did you check the hole inside the cap? not just the flashing on the bottom. that hole can be rough too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online