Return Line Install Kits - Early vs Late

BCMac

Reaction score
So i ordered up some bits - injectors, glow plugs an return lines - for my 1990 F250. The site said early kit for model years through 91, so I ordered the early return line kit. Looked at the truck (i know should have done this before) and it currently appears to have the late kit with the connectors along the edge of the caps rather than through the middle like the kit i just received.

What i am wondering is if this kit will work or not? I have no idea if the current one is correct or just what the previous owner could find. Are the cap sizes different? Will both work? I know the hose is a different diameter. I guess what I'm wondering is if i have to order and wait another few weeks for another kit?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few weeks, I ship priority mail . 3 days ish

BCMac

Reaction score
A few weeks, I ship priority mail . 3 days ish

Right up until customs keeps it for a week like this last package.

How much for the late kit and shipping to BC? Or do you have a website to check out?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No site yet. Oh yeah, customs. I can get a shipping cost tomorrow.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remember the color of the clamps will tell you early or late kits. The smaller is the early green clamps at 3/16 and the late large at 1/4 inch is the red. Now consider the size of the fuel line feeding the filter at 3/8 inch. Then the line feeding the injection pump is 5/16. then the return to the tanks is 5/16.... So how much fuel returns in that 5/16 line... Some feel its not much. I feel its nearly 80% of the fuel sent to the engine. Remember it is fuel that cools and lubes the injection pump and the injectors. Both return kits work well and to say one is better than the other is a real stretch. We just need to remember these large and small return kits CAN"T BE used together. Every fuel fitting will have a large or small nipple especially the brass fittings on the filter or top of injection pump return.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Kenworth with an 8V92TA and after an hour or two the fuel tank was warm. I had no tank heater just the returned fuel. I was surprised at this.

BCMac

Reaction score
So as long as I replace the entire kit, and don't try to reuse any caps, the early kit should work fine regardless of if it currently has the late kit on it?

Remember the color of the clamps will tell you early or late kits. The smaller is the early green clamps at 3/16 and the late large at 1/4 inch is the red. Now consider the size of the fuel line feeding the filter at 3/8 inch. Then the line feeding the injection pump is 5/16. then the return to the tanks is 5/16.... So how much fuel returns in that 5/16 line... Some feel its not much. I feel its nearly 80% of the fuel sent to the engine. Remember it is fuel that cools and lubes the injection pump and the injectors. Both return kits work well and to say one is better than the other is a real stretch. We just need to remember these large and small return kits CAN"T BE used together. Every fuel fitting will have a large or small nipple especially the brass fittings on the filter or top of injection pump return.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... The early kit will not fit the late kit brass fitting like I explained above. The smaller hose will not force over the larger fittings. Also you can't install the larger return kit on the smaller brass fittings. You will have guaranteed leaks everywhere.

BCMac

Reaction score
Ok, sorry misread or misunderstood or missomethinged.

Nope... The early kit will not fit the late kit brass fitting like I explained above. The smaller hose will not force over the larger fittings. Also you can't install the larger return kit on the smaller brass fittings. You will have guaranteed leaks everywhere.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you understand the small and large line kits... they both work very well but mixing them on the other systems is not a good idea. Some members have "made the claim" that they forced the smaller hose onto the larger fittings and no leaks....;Really;Really:rolleyes: I'm a little suspect of this claim.

BCMac

Reaction score
I guess where I am struggling is from what I gather, the 1990 should have the early kit. Mine does not. So does that mean the previous owner changed some other bits like those brass fittings to accommodate the later kit, or rigged something up to make it work.

I'll get into it this weekend and see, I have injectors and glow plugs to do anyhow.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, 90 is a split year for kits. Its always best to inspect before ordering.

BCMac

Reaction score
BTW, 90 is a split year for kits. Its always best to inspect before ordering.

Noted. For some reason I thought I'd been reading 91 was the split. But you guys know way more about these machines than I do yet.

I'll get that later kit from you. Send you an email in a bit.