Replacing Glow Plugs?

Rob94F250

Reaction score
I replaced 6 of the glow plugs last night. They came out quite easily (thank goodness!). She seems to start better, although it is not overly cold up here, yet.

My question is, is there an "easy" way to get the 2 right rear plugs out without removing the factory turbo? I moved the GP controller out of the way, and disconected the fuel return line that feeds to the left side, but that still didn't seem to leave enough room.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some members use a crows foot wrench and others use an open combo wrench. I have the Banks Sidewinder turbo on my motor and usually use a 1/4 inch drive setup to get into the back plugs under the turbo.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you do get them out, be sure to use antisieze compound on the threads of the new ones and don't overtighten them so they'll come out easy next time.
Nothing worse than having one stuck in a bad place to get to.

---------Robert

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the factory turbo takes up more space....my ATS non gated looks like it doesn't restrict access to the glow plugs at all... just the air box is in the way for about everything. How about a little 10mm box wrench when the engine's nice and cool?

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What made it work for me on those two was a little swivel-head ratcheting box wrench after breaking them loose with a socket - couldn't finish removal with the socket lengths I had due to interference with the manifold. Position the wrench, rotate a couple of clicks, hold top connector on GP down with a finger to click back - repeat until she comes free. Being able to tilt the handle up sharply allowed rotation in a limited arc. Took a long time but got there eventually! The right combination of 1/4 drive flex/wobble/ universals might be cobbled up to get 'er done as well with the right length socket(s), but I didn't have that so took my time...

My gated ATS is supposedly identical to the factory turbo IDI as far as interference with the access goes. Never removed the turbo, just got the air box out of the way.

Jim

Gotta-B-Ford

BOOTLEGGER
Reaction score
I just changed mine w/factory turbo and used a 1/4 in. deepwell socket,swivel,6" or 8" extention and 1/4 in. ratchet. Worked very smooth,but yes it is tight down in there,and if you cant get it there move the fuel injector line!;Really