replacement springs?

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
As I was gazing fondly at the undercarraige of my truck, it occurred to me that the front axel was about an inch from the bumpstop!

I can't imagine that the wheel is only suppossed to travel that much, and wondered how much those springs had sagged over the years...

Does any one have a good source for a replacement set? I'm not terribly interested in lifting the truck higher than stock, but if necessary I would consider a moderate lift.

Does any one have any idea what the stock ride height was?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An inch IS about the correct factory height. :rolleyes: But like you, I'd want a little more.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
Springs

:dunno Mel. I bought a 88 F350 for the ZF trans and Dana 60, but now I am thinking of swarping the 350 springs over to my 84 f250HD. Do you think it is worth it? Thank's. Dan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan, Hard to say. I know the Dana 60 trucks rode on different springs than the IFS models. Unfortunately, I've never had an opportunity to study one. I imagine they would fit, but it would be hard to guess what would become of your camber angle.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
Springs

Mel, I should have said that I wanted to put both the Dana 60 and the springs from the f350 on my 84. I just need to change the ratio on the Dana 60 from 410 to 354's. There is about 3 1/4" between the bump stop and the top of the spring on the F350 truck and only about 1" on the F250. I am also planing on doing away with the rear springs and replacing them with a airbag suspension, that way I should be able to level out the truck and get a better ride with or without my camper on. What do you think?
Thank's Dan

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I put 85 F350 springs with a helper spring on the front of my 87 F250, they were and exact fit but had about 3 inches of clearance versus the 3/4" or so the stock ones had. With the Dana 60, mine actually rides better, even with the helper springs. I am sure it was bouncing off the bump stops before as well.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
Springs

sle2115, That's good to hear. My slide in camper is a little on the heavy side. I think with the 350 springs and a well designed airbag rear suspension I should be OK. Thank's. Dan

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
You may also want to look at your spring and axle pivot bushings as these were out and let the front end sag pretty bad

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
Springs

Aric, Before I took my 84 off the road to do a total restoration and before I found the Diesel site and this site I did a complete rebuild of the front end. Had I known then what I know now I chould have taken the $1500 I spent on it and put it into a Dana 60 in the first place. I am hoping that someone might need the old front end, ether that or I can always stick it back in the parts truck. Thank's for the info. Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle