Reconsidering my RV setup

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WITH CUPHOLDERS!!! :rotflmao
Well, the motorhome has a fridge and a table. @Cubey also has Lucy his dog which probably holds his drink for him like how @Rdnck84_03 has his dog hold his gun. But really........let's stay on topic, cupholders would add to the weight and obstruct the aerodynamics of the motorhome thus making it worse on fuel economy.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Thinking it over a lot, maybe I'll just stick to the motorhome a while longer. I don't think I wanna give up the comfort and convenience.

Plus my dog needs something she can get in and out of without risking injury. If it was just me, I'd switch to the truck for sure. Unless I try to find a slide in camper that gives a lower door than the tailgate height.

I'll see how much it'll cost to get the GearVendors installed this winter in Yuma. I'll do the wiring portion myself, so that'll save a lot of labor cost. If it's a reasonable price that I can afford, I might go ahead and do it.

10.5mpg would be a big savings in fuel over 8.7, and that would only take 2-3 years to recoup the installation cost, depending on the cost and how much I travel. Not as good as 17 in the F250 with GV, but it's also 8 times as big for living space, complete with a kitchen and bathroom.

The truck camper has .... a dome light.
I know this is a long thread and I haven't read the whole thing, but why are you only getting 8.7? I've been averaging about 13 and I just found an point of air intrusion that I stopped. At this point it's running better than it has in a few years and I'm hoping that the mpgs climb a little. It's true that I haven't put a lot of miles on during the last couple years, just two 500 mile runs.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I know this is a long thread and I haven't read the whole thing, but why are you only getting 8.7? I've been averaging about 13 and I just found an point of air intrusion that I stopped. At this point it's running better than it has in a few years and I'm hoping that the mpgs climb a little. It's true that I haven't put a lot of miles on during the last couple years, just two 500 mile runs.

That's why.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Reading this old thread: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/differences-between-gv-and-laycock-od.48239/

I might need to have someone replace the seals in it (unless it's very easy, then i could) before I install the NOS unit.

Is it even worth it?

For a memory refresher on what I got last year:

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
After much, much, MUCH consideration and a bit of number crunching, I guess I'll stick with the motorhome for a while longer. I just hope the installation of the GV on the motorhome isn't insane. The good thing about getting it done down in Yuma is that I can drag the bug down with it and drive the bug back to camp. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple days, since I'll have to tent dwell while they have it. Nobody on here down around Yuma who could help somehow, I don't suppose. LOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well I may have decided on what to do for sure. (I'm definitely indecisive LOL)

Gonna forget about putting the GV on the motorhome and do my usual LTVA winter, then go get the New Mexico State Parks annual pass around late April. $225 for unlimited primitive (off grid) camping, as well as deeply discounted electric sites. The 14 day limit within 30 days in any single park applies, but that that's not hard to do. Bounce around a handful of parks that are fairly close to each other to minimize fuel costs. Only have to move twice a month maximum, if I get to stay in 14 day blocks every time. I'll be in the motorhome still.

New Mexico is about half way between the LTVA and Arkansas so it's not out of the way. Just some driving around within the state.

A few weeks before I get to Arkansas around September, I'll post the motorhome for sale on Facebook. That way it gets exposure and people can think it over before I get to town. I will list it for probably $4500, so it gives room to haggle/go down. So many people in the south get pissy if you won't go down, even if it's already cheap. I guess they feel smart, like they're getting one over on you by you taking less than the posted price? Post it for $3500 and they think it's too much. Post it for $4500 but agree to their offer of $3500 and they are happy with it.

But I digress. I'll be stripping off the solar panels, controller, and lithium batteries since I will need them, and it'll make the price more attractive.

If I can't sell it within a couple weeks of being there in town, I'll just store it at my mom's house and head out in the truck camper. Maybe I'll have better luck selling it another time. Sadly, she's not reliable enough to trust selling it for me. She instantly lost the post office recept with the tracking number for something important she was mailing me last week. Thankfully it got here so no harm done, but yeah...

To digress again -- I'll get the GV put on the truck later on, and look into getting a travel trailer for use at the LTVA. Between saving money this winter instead of spending on GV install on the motorhome, and minimizing expenses next summer in New Mexico; by next winter, I should have money for a trailer. It'll be lived in around Oct/Nov-beginng of April and stored cheap during summer. The truck camper will be my home during the travel half of the year.

I don't know when I'll do it, but I want to get a better camper on the truck too. I'm thinking a slide in with a popup roof, so it's lower profile when driving but provides stand-up height and a cabover bed. I'll just have to weigh my options as far as that in a year from now when I'm at the truck. In fact I might end up happy enough with just that and won't bother with a winter living trailer. We'll see!

And this all includes keeping the bug.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What LTVAs are you using, ones near Quartzsite? If so do you have a preference, good ones, bad ones?

I go to Imperial Dam.

Quartzsite is good if you want to be around tons of people around January, and/or be close to town. Internet, at least in past years, becomes almost unusable due to gridlock, too many people on the local pipeline. Not just cellular, library on "grid" Internet crawls, since it uses the same uplink as cellular towers. Long, long lines for water and dump too. The more socially needy go there, I guess?

Imperial Dam is far less crowded with usable cell data and short water/dump lines (often no lines) but it's 23+ miles to town. But that's actually closer to things like a hospital and other medical needs that from Quartzsite to somewhere larger. Better stores than the nearest cities to Quartzsite (Blythe, Parker)

The others I can't comment on, I haven't been to them. But they lack all possible amenities like Quartzsite and Imperial Dam.

Last edited: