Rear wheel spacers

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Looking to install some rear wheel spacers on my truck. Thinking about 1 1/2" - 2" spacers to bring rear wheels in-line with the front. What brand have you all used, and where did you get them, and how much? Thanks.

John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You might try Arrow Adapters. I hear that mane being dropped around here all the time. Not sure if aluminum is what you do or do not want. I have seen this topic come up from time to time too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to install some rear wheel spacers on my truck. Thinking about 1 1/2" - 2" spacers to bring rear wheels in-line with the front. What brand have you all used, and where did you get them, and how much? Thanks.

John

If I am correct, based on your picture what I suspect is your truck and trailer I'm wondering why you want to do this?

This is done to affect handling and stabilize the truck while hauling/towing.

Looks are deceiving...and have nothing to do with performance or function!

Now add duallys and that's different altogether

JM2CW

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does a wider rear stance with SRW differ from running duallys when it comes to stability?
Have to driven a forklift or similar with a single caster in the back? Quite skittish back there no?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
John
On my 96 I had some 1.5" aluyminum ones i had bought off of ebay. Forget how much, that was a while ago. had to chop the factory studs because they were too long, but the 1.5" was what was needed to be even.
didnt have any problems with them coming loose. Did ok as far as towing etc.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think 2" will clear. id like to gett some for my truck

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does a wider rear stance with SRW differ from running duallys when it comes to stability?
Have to driven a forklift or similar with a single caster in the back? Quite skittish back there no?
Dually has both narrow and wider track...

Track width differences from front to rear affect steering quite a bit. Narrow rear wide front stable and has quite a pronounced difference in handling than the other way around.

Forklift why yes.... I've driven them for years ...they are skittish because of rear steer and short wheelbase nothing more...takes skill to maintain forward motion at high speed safely! :sly That's why reverse is always more skittish than forward FYI when driving a vehicle like truck or car....same as a forklift forwards

JM2CW

Doesn't mean I'm right btw! but it don't mean I'm wrong either:sly

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
riot, if im not mistaken, i think as soon as you plant something further out on the wheelbase, that becomes its new pivot points.
I gotta dig up my vehicle dynamics book to look into this, but im pretty sure wider rear wheel base is better for towing.
Not to mention, dually has more contact patch on the ground, but Im talking stability only.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets keep the dually out of the equation Greg as he only has a SRW

Then we can work on same platform K,

Hmm...so the narrower rear will track better than wider but wider would be more stable towing...Hmm..

IIRC has something to do with tyre scrub and instantaneous centre or something like that...

Narrow rear track is conservative and safe and provides understeer

Wider rear track is well more aggressive and provides more oversteer

This is all if I remember what I learned many years ago...but *****..since I have forgotten lots since my stroke I could be talking about marshmallows for all I know now ROFL.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Somewhat on topic but also a little off.

How come these come from the factory with the rear wheels being narrower then the front wheels? I always thought most of the newer ones and other ones that I have had are always inline with each other.

Are the OBS trucks like this as well?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could have someone make you some.

Cab and chassis's have a narrower rear than normal f350's.
Outer tire is almost inline with front tire.

So I guess I track better, and still more stable. A win win.

Now if we could find out why the op wants to do so.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My main reason for doing this is purely looks. I don't like the fact that my front tires just barely stick out of the wheelwell and the rear are tucked in. While a dually conversion would be sweet, it's nowhere in the budget right now. I have found spacers ranging from 89.95 up to 700+. Just trying to find the best quality for the money. My truck has always been stable towing, but I also dont push it towing the camper. If I find that the spacers have an adverse effect on towing, I will definitely remove them.

The Arrowcraft ones that Gary mentioned seemed nice. They say that their spacers are not made from aluminum. Of course, there is no pricing o n their website, so I will send an e-mail.

John

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For any axle other than a trailer queen for show purposes only...steel adapters all the way..IMHO

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I ran 2 in aluminum spacers on the FRONT of my crawler. never had a problem with them coming loose or breaking. and I put a lot of stress on them.

as stated you will need to trim the factory studs down, other than that do it!

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the track on the dana 60 front is wider than the 10.25 rear by 3 "
thw dana 50 ttb is the same width as the 10.25.
the main reason for the spacers is looks. In stock form the difference is not as noticable, but lift the truck 4" and put 35"s on the difference is noticable.
the other reason is the understeer caused by the different widths. I cant say that I noticed any difference one way or the other.
Back in the 90s there always were adds in the back of the magazines targeting the blazers to add wheel spacer to the rear, they were off 3 or 4 from front to rear. The reason the add stated was understeer.

as far as steel vrs aluminum, I sheared my axle bolts and no harm was done to the spacers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online