rear wheel cylinders

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys is it possible to replace rear wheel cylinders without taking the brake pads off?
thanks

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Boy, did you leave yourself open for harrassment! Let me start, yes, since the brake pads (brake shoes are however) are in no way connected to the wheel cylinder...:)

I would assume that you will have to remove the shoes. It is pretty tight in behind them and they do rest on the end of the wheel cylinder via the little dogs. May be possible to just release the hold down pins though and slide the shoes out a little. When I did mine last fall, I replaced everything, so I can't say for sure but would say that you will have to remove the brake shoes, pads can be left as they are! :)

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're correct i did leave myself open, oh well we all need a good laugh. i replaced everything a couple months back but the cylinder which was new is leaking so i was just being lazy, thought maybe someone here would have a slick shortcut

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i recently replaced the cylinders without taking anything else off...
just takes a screwdriver and a few careful taps to get the cylinder arms into place.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I would think you could do it with some creative prying, and the easing of a spring or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online