Rear Tank 3-fer

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
So, after a year of not knowing the fuel level in my rear tank, I got the nerve up to find out why. I dropped the tank today, which was easier than I expected it to be (except for the 7 gallons still in it).

1. I pulled out the sender and first thing I saw was the shower head was in pieces. I fixed that with hose and a fitting on the end.

2. I started exploring the unit itself and found it was as simple as two holes in the float - it was filled with fuel. I soldered them up (while accidentally making other holes). I finally got it sealed up and tested it out. I pushed it down under water for about a half an hour. No water got in.

3. I took off the vent, put in a foot or so piece of heater hose with a barb and hose clamp on the end to keep it from being pulled out. I loosely pushed a *** of coarse steel wool into the other end.

I put the tank back in, filled it (went quick thanks to the vent and no spillage out the neck), and started it up.

I can now rea my fuel level!

I am going to pick an extra float or two when I go to the yard again in the chance that this one does not keep working.

Sorry to keep going on, it is just nice to be able to read the fuel level and fix 3 things (for no cost) when I was just looking for one!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
No problem - not sure if there can be any issues in the long run, but it was nice not spilling or having the filler burp out!

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't clean out the tank thoroughly be careful of the little bits of pickup getting caught in your tank selector and stopping up your lift pump. Ask me how I know.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Thanks, I actually read one of your posts just prior to doing it, so I made sure to give it I good clean. I HOPE I got everything out!

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I though I had all of mine cleaned out but I didn't and it clogged the lift pump shut, Didn't really do much to the fuel selector valve but make it not want to switch from the rear to the front on occasion. But I fixed both my tanks at the same time. When I changed the lift pump I added a clear inline filter and sure enough it start catching little black bits.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I have a Racor water separator and filter, so I threw a 30 micron element in there before the lift pump. Hopefully nothingvwill get stuck in the fsv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online