Rear shackle reversial?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
For those who have done it right, how does the truck ride? Empty and loaded. All the trucks I've played with had the shackle in tension so I'm not sure about the ride with it in compression.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
For those who have done it right, how does the truck ride? Empty and loaded. All the trucks I've played with had the shackle in tension so I'm not sure about the ride with it in compression.

I have front RSK and a shackle flip in the back.

Rides great unloaded and loaded. I've seen a few import full size 1/2 trucks with the shackles in compression now.

My problem was i replaced the shackles when i did the rear flip with the dorman units. The bushings blew out in 3 months and started squeaking with metal on metal.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
On a side note with the shackle flip, i would suggest F-450 or custom shackles. Seems the stock ones can break/bend. Also the axle will move fordward slightly so ya either need to run a zero rate block or move the front spring hangers back about an inch.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
On a side note with the shackle flip, i would suggest F-450 or custom shackles. Seems the stock ones can break/bend. Also the axle will move fordward slightly so ya either need to run a zero rate block or move the front spring hangers back about an inch.

or run a tapered block flipped the other way like i did.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
On an unrelated note got a case of sticker shock when looking for parts they want 400 for a ******** starter for a quad ***?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Yea, I'm going to take it apart, and see if I can fix it, if not then the starter off my quad will go on my mothers quad. I'm 22, I can still kick start a high compression 250, Don't want her at 61 trying to kick start a 300. BTW you ever see a 61 year old woman do a burnout on a quad? My dad got Ped off at me for teaching her to do that.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is used for hauling, Dont do it. I reversed the reveral on my last truck becasue it was really squirrley under load. There are several threads on this very issue on other forums if you look for them.

Nice for a mall crawler or toy tho.

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
If the truck is used for hauling, Dont do it. I reversed the reveral on my last truck becasue it was really squirrley under load. There are several threads on this very issue on other forums if you look for them.

Nice for a mall crawler or toy tho.

How long were your shackles and did you have overload air bags or no?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt have airbags, Just towing 6K car trailer. Done it many times with a half ton without an issue.

I am not the only one to experience this. Many people that tow heavier loads will tell you the same thing.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
We got em on a buddies flatbed and another truck, both tow heavy(6000+) and neither of them have complaints

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I have heard pros and cons of a shackle flip in the rear. Personally I think with overload air bags and a rear sway bar most of the towing issues and complaints can be overcome.

I am about to buy the universal shackle flip kit from Ruff Stuff Specialties to get the rear of my truck to match the height of the front of my truck and get rid of the stacked blocks that the previous owner had in there.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/UNFLIP.html
You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin