Overflow bottle

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey all, was wondering who here has used CDD's alternative coolant overflow bottle?
I've had mine on for about a year now, but something I've always ran into is that with my radiator completely full, and overflow completely empty, after a tow or whatever I'm doing with my truck, the overflow over fills and the rest spills out, and when it cools it obviously sucks the coolant back in, plus a little air.

Has anyone else had it where they just seem like they're a little too small?

Also, cup holders.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What pressure is your cap rated for?

At 13lbs my reservoir doesn’t fill up very much without towing. Maybe only rises an inch (I seem to run steady at 185 deg F w/o towing).

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a 13lb cap, and I mostly only use my truck when using as a truck in some capacity, hauling boat, car dolly with car on it, that sort of thing.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Factory Bottle on my 86 holds a gallon I think it is up to the fill line.
I thought that one CDD sells looks a bit small.
But adding big turbo`s, Air Coolers and all the Pipes, I see why he came up with the smaller one. Even had to scale down on the "Cup Holders".

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does this aftermarket overflow bottle compare to the factory one as far as capacity? If it's about the same, I would get another radiator cap and try it. When the system reaches the pressure of the cap, it will push it up and let coolant flow to the coolant reservoir. Usually you get more overflow when running a 7lb cap, but even then I have run them before and the factory reservoir handled the amount of overflow.

Could your 13lb cap be really weak? Or this reservoir is too small? If you get air in the top of the radiator, that negates the whole purpose of the reservoir/recovery system.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, was wondering who here has used CDD's alternative coolant overflow bottle?
I've had mine on for about a year now, but something I've always ran into is that with my radiator completely full, and overflow completely empty, after a tow or whatever I'm doing with my truck, the overflow over fills and the rest spills out, and when it cools it obviously sucks the coolant back in, plus a little air.

Has anyone else had it where they just seem like they're a little too small?

Also, cup holders.
Cup holders to you too good sir :Thumbs Up:joker:

I have CDD’s over flow bottle. It is too damn small, and a pain in the #%¥!*@$& rear to install. But is shiny and still does its job. I would only recommend it if you wanna put a cold air intake or something where the OEM tank is/was. I currently have an ammo can there, very handy for keeping track of your chit whilst working on thine vehicle.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I had installed it originally when I turboed my truck, the kit I had purchased from cdd had the air filter that sat where the surge tank was. It wasn't listed on the kit description, that it was for a serpentine belt setup, or non ac v belt setup, so I had already removed my old surge tank.
I might try to find it, or a suitable replacement, and install it instead. I'm sure there's a reason it's so big, and why it was used instead of the standard 2 partition washer bottle/overflow like the gassers used.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could just buy two bottles and put a T in between them to get more capacity. They're remotely installed for a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online