rear main seal

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so when i put my new clutch in here in a couple weeks i want to replace the rear main seal in my truck while i am at it.. it has a slight leak... No better time then when the trans is out... Question is will i have to drop the oil pan? Or is this seal accessable for R&I w/o dropping the pan?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to drop the pan. Just pull the rear cover with the seal. Might wanna get a seal with a repair sleeve. Less likely to leak again.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most defenantly get a seal with a repair sleeve. The oil pan will not need to be removed or disturbed. But you will have to remove one pan bolt on each side of the rear main seal plate. Now under the seal plate there is a gasket too but its really not needed just like an oil pan gasket is not needed or used... If RTV seals the oil pan it will seal the plate bolted to the back of the engine too. A tip you or anyone thinking about doing this job. The crank bolts have a torque of 47 lbs and they need thread sealant or oil will leak out from the engine past the bolt threads.. This has been discusssed many time here. Those that forgot or simpley felt I'm not going to seal those threads found out about flinging oil all over hell and back shortly after this job.. Its upsetting knowing you need to go back and redo the job. Another tip is use brakeclean to get every bit of oil off the plate and block and especially the oil pan to cover to block joint. A razor blade will cut the old RTV off this area and the cleaner works wonders making sure it all clean. Then place a large enough glog of RTV in that joint so as it squeezes out when the plate it installed. The repair sleeve that comes in the seal kit is best installed with permatex avaition cement in th brush top can. The seal sleeve ford part number is in the parts bin and right here... F2TZ-6701-A

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try the u-haul site from time to time, they occasionally have the rear main seal with an installer, no need to pull the plate then. I have three of them myself. Uhaul shows one now, but the pic is wrong. On the side bar, Click on Ford, then truck, then search (7.3 rear main seal)

http://stores.ebay.com/uhaul-truck-parts-online

You can also get one from AutoZone with the wear ring, but have to specify with the ring. Around $54.