rear main seal

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i have to replace my rear main seal on my pickup ....how hard is it to do? i have a manual tranny. all my info is below...thanks for you input.

;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After you get the tranny out of the way it's a piece of cake :D
Pull the flywheel off, remove the plate with the rear seal in it, cleanoff the gasket , pop the old seal out. If there's any groove in the crank, get a repair sleeve for it so the new seal doesn't leak like a sieve.
you may need to file a chamfer around the edge to get it on.

put a little sealer around the outside of the new seal and set a board over it and whack it in to the plate from the back side ( where it curves in ) once in runs flat to that side set the old seal againse it and the board on top od that and whack it till the face of the seal is flush with the outer edge, make sure it is even all around or it will leak.

Go to Wendys and get a medium soda , drink it , then cut the rolled edge off the top of the cup. Grease the outer edge of the cup and set the cup over the end of the crank ( this will allow you to slide the new seal on without tearing it up or rolling the edge over :thumbsup: ) Slap some sealer on the new gasket , set in place, and ease the seal over the cup and torque the bolts down, remove the cup and smile that you just save $90 on a special tool. when you put the flywheel back on use locktite generously on the bolts to seal the threads or you will have an oil leak .
Break out your dictionary of creative language for the process of stuffing the tranny back in :rolleyes:

streaker

Reaction score
GO rent a tranny jack, make life a lot simpler. I had to fight with a floor jack and blocks of wood, the trans/transfer case isn't as heavy as you think, but id does get heavy fast. Might as well wait til you get an upgraded clutch so you only have to drop it once. Make sure you get the shifter boot back down where it was, if it isn't you will know it, cuz it loud. While your working on it just keep telling yourself how much you like your truck to prevent yourself from taking a BFH to it.

Oh and if you dont have them already, get some wobble sockets and about 3ft worth of extentions. You can reach in through the shifter hole and get a few of the top bolts on the bell housing. I don't have any crayons or I would draw you a pic. goodluck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.