rear main seal in a 95

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a PITA job but can be done in about 5 - 6 hours with proper tools, air tools and experience. If you've never done this kind of work before I recommend that you bribe a buddy you trust who has or at least will supervise while drinking your favorite beverage like I do to my son in law.

OR Send it to the shop and pay them $500 - $1000 in labor to put in a $15 part-cuss
  1. Remove transmission
  2. Remove flywheel / flexplate
  3. Remove 5 rear oil seal retaining bolts
  4. Pull rear main seal from crank
  5. Inspect crank wear ring and replace if necessary (special tool needed to remove wear ring)
  6. Put RTV on rear seal retaining ring and bolt threads
  7. Install rear main seal (carefull don't mess it up or you will start again from step 1)
  8. Install retaining bolts to proper torque
  9. Install flywheel (proper torque)
  10. Install transmission
  11. Test drive and cross fingers

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wouldnt expect us mechanics to install that 15 dollar part for free now woulda?

labor would actually be 250-500
500 for a dealer charging 100/hr
250 for an indipendant shop like ours

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wouldnt expect us mechanics to install that 15 dollar part for free now woulda?

labor would actually be 250-500
500 for a dealer charging 100/hr
250 for an indipendant shop like ours

NOPE....Been in your shoes and I'm worth every penny. I don't have the labor guides so I was guessing on a 10 hr job (course as busted up as I am now it's a 2 week job:rotflmao ). Must only pay about 5 hrs then.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...it pays abouts 5 hours...i just did a clutch in one not too long ago and it paid like 4.0, so i "added" another hour for the flywheel and stuff. dont you hate labor guides? yeah...it WAS a 4 hour job in 95, but they dont count the 200k miles of rust/road salt/mud/dirt and corrosion into anything...oh well, thats my rant.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont you hate labor guides? yeah...it WAS a 4 hour job in 95, but they dont count the 200k miles of rust/road salt/mud/dirt and corrosion into anything...

I won't use them anymore....all I do now is the occasional side job. I look at the job, tell them what I want and if they don't like my price they can take it elsewhere cause I have much better things to do than bust my knuckles for cheap. Man I like being retired.

Like......
  1. Chase Mama-Showtits
  2. Get my VA check from the mailbox and go to the bank
  3. Sit on my @$$ in front of the puter trying to help others learn while I try to learn too on OILBURNERS.NET
  4. Pick up the kid from school
  5. watch American Chopper and Overhaulin
  6. Play with my tractors
  7. Nap
Damn, I don't have time to work on other peoples stuff anymoreLOL

Exceptions to the rules
  1. Helping my parents out:thumbsup:
  2. Helping my brother out ;Sweet
  3. Helping good freinds that would help you out in a heartbeat too like GEO and a couple others :cheers: