How to Replace Rear Main Seal

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video you posted. Best one on YT.
I did pick up a Rotunda Seal installer tool off e-bay like this one. T83T-6701-A

It looks like your Crank Flange has the Speedy Sleeve on it.
I pulled my rear cover off today, and looks like I have one also. Run my finger across it and feel a slight depression.
Been reading various threads on removing them. Some say to grind across the sleeve etc... kind of iffy doing it that way
Found a couple YT Vids that are pretty slick.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not much room under the truck with the pan in the way and not much room to swing a hammer and chisel
How do you remove them safely?

I have a Felpro seal and speedy Sleeve I picked up at O`Reilly`s. Been searching for a Seal compatible with installing a Sleeve. Don`t see anything listed.
Found a part# F2TZ-6701-A on the FTE Forum, but discontinued from Ford. Ford Parts Giant and one dealer in Texas has one in stock. $51 and $73.
Suppose to have the tool, plastic sleeve to protect the gasket etc...

See if I can assemble the press tool you posted, clean the plate and press in the new seal tomorrow...we`lll see.

Goat

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video you posted. Best one on YT.
I did pick up a Rotunda Seal installer tool off e-bay like this one. T83T-6701-A

It looks like your Crank Flange has the Speedy Sleeve on it.
I pulled my rear cover off today, and looks like I have one also. Run my finger across it and feel a slight depression.
Been reading various threads on removing them. Some say to grind across the sleeve etc... kind of iffy doing it that way
Found a couple YT Vids that are pretty slick.

Not much room under the truck with the pan in the way and not much room to swing a hammer and chisel
How do you remove them safely?

I have a Felpro seal and speedy Sleeve I picked up at O`Reilly`s. Been searching for a Seal compatible with installing a Sleeve. Don`t see anything listed.
Found a part# F2TZ-6701-A on the FTE Forum, but discontinued from Ford. Ford Parts Giant and one dealer in Texas has one in stock. $51 and $73.
Suppose to have the tool, plastic sleeve to protect the gasket etc...

See if I can assemble the press tool you posted, clean the plate and press in the new seal tomorrow...we`lll see.

Goat
Thanks Goat let me know how it goes. I haven’t had to remove a sleeve yet. I’d probably do the iffy way very carefully if I couldn’t find a better way.

That’s great you got the rotunda driver.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a guy at church today that worked of Govt. heavy/equipment. He said to add heat all around it evenly, and it will come off.
Probably Propane or Mapp Gas Torch.

If I had the engine out of the truck, I would try the Cold Chisel approach.

Be a couple day`s as we have a storm Mon - Tues, Blowing in.

Dealer in Tx, didn`t have it, got 2 referals to 2 other dealers and found one that has 2 in stock. NLA from Ford, so Iam grabbing both. They were ready to close, (Fri) so tomorrow find out what the total damages $$$ are.

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is actually 2 parts to the press tool. A & B.
I see it is posted together here. I guess the small piece fits into the center as the big piece is pressing down. not sure.

This is the Ford Rotunda tool for the front Crank Seal.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.