Rear axle questions, specifically dually

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
OK, so i did some research, didnt really get my question answered cause there is pages of stuff that'll take hours to sift through.
I have learned this much, E350 duallys dont work in a pickup?
and the pickup duallys are Sterling's???? <---- this brings a question.
SO, what really is the difference between a SRW sterling and a DRW sterling?? I understand there is a spring/tire rub issue, and difference in load carrying.
Cab and chassis van's supposivly bolt in to pickup's? (like the big 20 passenger county van/busses for those who cant drive)

Anyway, my question, what dually rears will bolt right into my 92? Not so much JUST the rear, but the springs too. And whats required to convert my SRW sterling to a DRW sterling??

And those of you with 4.10's, love em, hate em?? I dont need a go fast IDI, I need a stout puller with that slushbox E4OD.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Due to the differing frame-width between a SRW and DRW, I don't think you are going to find any DRW that will simply bolt-on.

Even if you do, the inside DRW wheel will most likely interfere with the leaf-spring.

If you want dual wheels, I suggest you have a machine-shop build you a stout set of adapter/spacers.

I have seen numerous real good looking adapters, built by the local machine-shops, that have sixteen holes, eight for bolting the adapter to the original studs, and eight DRW studs for mounting the DRW wheels to.

It is imperative that you procure the intended wheels, first, so that the machinest can design the proper hub-centric flange for the wheel centers to ride upon.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dually "pickup" rear axle should bolt in no problem. A cab / chassis axle and frame is narrower.

The dually pickup axle is wider at the hubs (than a single wheel axle) to allow the inner wheel to clear the springs.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
What about one of them cutaway vans? I have heard they will go in, hehehe there just so happens to be one in the junk yard.

How about the front dana 60 dually axle, will that bolt in from a C&C truck?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a Tape measure some paper and pen...go to wrecker and start measuring as needed. Heck go to used truck dealer and measure too....you'll find all the info you need.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I don't think the cutaway axle will work, compare the frame width to yours. The c&c dana 60 should be pretty much a bolt in.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Get a Tape measure some paper and pen...go to wrecker and start measuring as needed. Heck go to used truck dealer and measure too....you'll find all the info you need.

This is probably the best..... common sence move on my part huh? lol
Thanks for all the input guys! ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably the best..... common sence move on my part huh? lol
Thanks for all the input guys! ;Sweet

:rotflmao I had to state the obvious...I just had too! It's what I do when I need info, take pictures, notes and more pictures more notes, lots of measuring 2 - 3 times if not more.;Sweet

I'll be damned if I can find the rad I need to measure though....Grrrr:mad: cookoo

MoonDog

Reaction score
Having just recently gone through an axle swap on my '88...

The difference between the different Sterlings is the width of the housing. DRW axles are the widest, then SRW, and C&C duallys are the narrowest.

A SRW axle will bolt up in place of a DRW, but you'll need spacers for the tires to clear the frame. A few companies make dually conversion kits, but their names escape me at the moment.

SRW and DRW trucks have the same frames. Cab & chassis trucks (and E series duallys I would assume) have a narrower frame and narrower spring perches on the axles.

A dana 70 (SRW or DRW) from an earlier model year will bolt in. Wheel bolt pattern is the same however they accept lug-centric wheels whereas the ones on your sterling are hub-centric.

I ended up finding a sterling 10.5 from a 2002 F350 to put in my truck. I did have to change the yoke on the driveshaft ($27 part and a case of beer to one of the welders at work) for the bigger ujoint on the axle. The parking brake setup is a little different, I have yet to sort that out. Now I have disk brakes in the rear, 3.73 gears and a limited slip ;Sweet

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the info! So just to be clear, before I go loaded for bear to the junk yard monday, an 85 DRW will bolt in? I hit the jackpot, an 85 dually with a nice bed just rolled into the junk yard I think its a 6.9 too we'll see. Hopefully goin to nab the axle, springs, perches, and bed. I doubt they left well enough alone with the wheels before it goes into the yard, but maybe wheels too if im lucky. And its 4wheel drive so i'll have the adapters for the TTB if I feel the funds are available.
wish me luck! ;Sweet

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I'm watching this thread.
So the 10.5 Sterling....how it rated compared to the 10.25? GVW, strength, or whatever ways they would be rated?
Comparing both to, let's say Dana, how both Sterlings rated to Dana? I've gotten idea somewhere 10.25 compared somewhere to Dana 70 or so....??? But don't know.
MoonDog ended up finding a sterling 10.5 from a 2002 F350 to put in my truck. I did have to change the yoke on the driveshaft ($27 part and a case of beer to one of the welders at work) for the bigger ujoint on the axle. The parking brake setup is a little different, I have yet to sort that out. Now I have disk brakes in the rear, 3.73 gears and a limited slip
And that one MoonDog found from a DW?
2002 will have metric wheel bolt pattern too???
Ebrake & disc brakes.....the 2002 got 16", or bigger wheels so disc work?
What yrs are 10.5 available, or they been round forever? And the 3.73....I guess 4.10 or close is available? I got to stay with my 4.10, pulling stuff I do.

The bigger yolk....that interests me. I've looked at my yokes & drive line thru years & wondered how they hold up to torque & crap I've put mine thru.

My 10.25 Limited slip don't Limit no more....it slips! I need/got to do something pretty quick. Winter coming on with 2WD in snow....up a steep long snowy drive that's about 45degs:eek:

Iwish mine was 4x4!

How hard to pull one of these 10.25 down & rebuild clutches????

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Hey Flatbed, can u measure the frame for me, outside to outside above the rear axle, and measure inside to inside of the leaf springs for me?

I went to the junk yard to get the axle today, and the truck had already had the bed removed and some ******* ruined the rear axle with his damned torch. *** he cut the drum off and damaged the thing and never removed ANYTHING is beyond me. Retards should not be alowed to own tools, or anything that might cause damage to anything!!!!

Im still clueless how the duals worked on that truck though. Converted F250 with nothin but an axle swap. All the measurements were the same as my '92, and being as the truck was in the dirt I couldnt try to put one of the wheels on to see if there was a missing spacer or anything.

However for those interested, it is an 85 F250 4x4 4speed 6.9L

Flatbedford

Reaction score
The rear frame on the cab & chassis is 34" wide. The F250 is about 37". I don't have that part of the F350 frame to measure any more. It went in the first 2480Lb load of scrap. I only have the front 1/2 of the frame now. My '70 F350 is the same as the '86. I can measure tommorrow. I think that you could simply mount two dually wheels on a SRW rear axle. My F250 has VERY long studs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat