Really hard break pedal 93 f250 7.3 idi

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 93 f250 7.3 idi. Over the winter I got an extremely hard break pedal. I figured it was just the booster since I saw the master cylinder leaking on it a little so I replaced both. I still had the hard pedal. Also my heating vents don't change until I get up in rpms driving and that is when I usually have one push with the power brakes, and then I am back to manual. What pressure should these things be operating at? I am thinking it is my vacuum pump. I hook a vacuum gauge to it and I have 5 ibs at idle, and close to 10 ibs if I rev the engine a little. Any suggestions?

Also this is the first time I've posted on here in a while. I posted a lot when I was redoing my truck a few years ago. This is an awesome forum!! Glad it is still here!!

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I am pretty sure it is the pump but wanted to see what others thought about it. When I pull one of the hoses off I can usually here it drop in pressure. Also my gauge only ready 5 ibs and I thought that was really low while it was running.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually going completely through my brakes right now and it definitely sounds like the pump or a horrific leak. Check around on prices as I found them anywhere from $93 to over $600 ( a misprint I hope ). Be sure to get a good puller for the pulley. I was told I needed the power steering pump puller from the local auto parts store and it didn't work on mine. I had to run it to the local shop and give them beer money to take it off. You need to reuse your old pulley or get one from the dealer. I looked all over and could not find an aftermarket. Dealer wanted $37 I think it was. Not bad from a dealer. Be sure to check all lines and the distribution body for cracks that sits on the fender well just below the master cylinder.