Ranger Diesel Engine Swap (What Engine?)

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
These engines are OEM in the Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 in the Brazilian market, along with the Nissan Acterra pickup, and I believe one of the Hyundai products (don't quote me). If you get on the MWM website, you can see what chassis the 4.07 and the 6.07 comes in. This engine is not as bad as they say it is, so don't be deterred by the naysayers. It's better than the uninformed suggests, and if it was sold here in the US, it would probably outsell the big diesels we have. Imagine a Ranger that gets almost 45mpg and a full size half ton getting 30-35mpg, with more than adequate torque. And people wonder why the OEMs are losing money; they already have the diesel cars and trucks on the world market, but refuse to sell them here.
they don't refuse to sell the ObamaProtecionAgency stops them:eek:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The real efficient car and truck combinations have always been sold on the world market, but the average American consumer does not know, and as long as fuel is cheap, doesn't care. It wasn't until we got confronted with $5.00/gal fuel and stagnant wages we woke up. Realistically, we don't need the ultra heavy, big power trucks that are being sold right now, because unless you tow heavy or earn your living with a unit like that, it's a huge waste of money. And the new smaller diesels that are coming out for the light trucks are excessively complicated. Just look at that new small V8 Duramax and Cummins motors, and now the 6.7 Ford. On the world market they already have engines in the 4-6 cylinder range that meet stricter clean air requirements and are simpler.
For too long engines have been built around the fuel, and not the fuel reformulated for the engine. If the oil companies were forced to adjust their chemistries so that the fuel reacts completely inside the engine and not partially, then all the reasons for current engine design would cease, mpg would skyrocket, and engine life would triple. Forgive my rant, but I am personally tired of having to build and design things that these idiots have had the capability of doing for more than an ice age.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I read about this engines on the 4btswap forum, many guys put the in dakotas, s10's and rangers, right? What applications are this engines on?

The 4BD1T and 4BD2T engines are 3.9L medium duty liner engines. They are in no way intended to go in a mini truck, but I brought them up because they are dirt cheap, plentiful and will fit better than a 4BT.

Isuzu's are in NPR trucks for the most part. The engines come in many different applications though, near as many as the 4BT. From what I've seen, the main difference between the Isuzu BD series and the 4BT cummins is their design background. The 4BT was designed by Cummins and Case for extreme agricultural and marine use. The engines are a little over the top for thier size and were intended to be extremely adaptable to nearly any application. The Isuzu is a truck and generator engine and was designed for exactly that. The Isuzu is a well made engine, but it is not as "modular" as the 4BT is.

Typically, you will find a 4BD1T in an NPR truck with a bad Jatco auto tranny at around 200K miles for under a grand for the whole truck. The downfall to the isuzu is adapting a quality, common tranny. Options are out there for popular ford and chevy applications, but these add to the expense. Isuzus are also on the spendier side for major overhaul components. Cummins stuff is dirt cheap.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The 4BD1T and 4BD2T engines are 3.9L medium duty liner engines. They are in no way intended to go in a mini truck, but I brought them up because they are dirt cheap, plentiful and will fit better than a 4BT.

Isuzu's are in NPR trucks for the most part. The engines come in many different applications though, near as many as the 4BT. From what I've seen, the main difference between the Isuzu BD series and the 4BT cummins is their design background. The 4BT was designed by Cummins and Case for extreme agricultural and marine use. The engines are a little over the top for thier size and were intended to be extremely adaptable to nearly any application. The Isuzu is a truck and generator engine and was designed for exactly that. The Isuzu is a well made engine, but it is not as "modular" as the 4BT is.

Typically, you will find a 4BD1T in an NPR truck with a bad Jatco auto tranny at around 200K miles for under a grand for the whole truck. The downfall to the isuzu is adapting a quality, common tranny. Options are out there for popular ford and chevy applications, but these add to the expense. Isuzus are also on the spendier side for major overhaul components. Cummins stuff is dirt cheap.

Thank You. Btw, I was also considering putting a 4bt on a earlier model ford maybe a f100 from the 70's or later bc of the weight issue as well. I want an engine that will give Me good fuel mileage in a short truck with 4x4 possibly so I can fit it almost anywhere and not for highway use only, the 4bt parts may be cheap I'm not sure about that but they want $2k for one engine and that isn't what I want to pay for one (heck I got My 6bt for less than half that) so I'm still looking for a diesel engine that would fit the bill and is also not too high priced on parts. I guess I'm also looking for the right engine :dunno.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend who's business imports engines he's going to see how much those little 2.8 IH motors are and he'd organize an order if he can get them and there are at least 5 engines ordered. His specialty is the Japanese domestic market but he's a businessman and interested in a lot of different things.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 2.8PSD for sale on 4BTswaps at the moment with a ZF stick in california for $10K. The price seams steap, but from the parts I've looked at getting from south america that's not out of line. If your buddies connected and can work something out definitely update this. Those buggers would sell like hotcakes if the cost was under a few grand.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I believe that the MWM motors should be available in other equipment, and $10k is high for such a common world spec engine. Was this the electronic motor or the mechanical version of the 4.07? Outside the US, the Sprint is very plentiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online