Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Stock 2.9 V6 gasser

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

nfkfirefighter

Reaction score
Ford had made a small diesel engine that was in there rangers in the 1990's or 80's im not sure when. My buddy has one but he needs a tranny and he cant find any becuase they dont make parts for them anymore and they are rare to find. ill talk to him if you want me to and let you know more info just get back to me if you want any more. Look it up on the internet there is probably some web sites about them. The only bad thing is that they have less then 100 hp so it wont be a speeed racer but it will get good mileage.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I want the little truck to play with like 3" stacks maybe to the SVO thing to it make it a Tonka like truck :D

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, there are a lot of them rolling around back home. Just absolutely awesome on fuel. I think there are several variations over the years--I believe there was a 2.3, and a 2.2, as well as turbo and non-turbo versions.

I've owned lots of Rangers, and they're close to my heart--the diesel always caught my interest especially.

I'm pretty damn sure the Ranger diesel uses the same bellhousing as the 2.3 gasser, but I'd double check that.

If you need a good Ranger forum, check out therangerstation.com

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I think Im gonna back off from this project and finish some others I have going on. If someone is interestered I will go see if the guy still has it.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I belive I can can the truck for around $75.00 all the glass is now knocked out of it so it will be a transplant to my 88 I have had sitting around for the past 2yrs;Sweet

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with DieselDogCatcher in the IDI forum. He's got a Ranger of that year that he stuck a V8 in.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Yea my Lead foreman at work did a 302 transplant in his 88 2 wheel drive after a month lost overdrive in it. He's using an AOD he bought one at a junkyard for 250.00 out of a stang or a crown vic he wasn't sure he suppose to button it up tomorrow and start on a rebuild of the old one next week.

spyder1100

Reaction score
I vote for the 4BT. I have driven 2 of the ones in Tonkadoctors post. The guy that does the conversions is in my neck of the woods. The 2 that have driven are on his website that he did for Georgeville Fire Dept. My dept. runs mutual aid with them. I can tell you, they are awesome. They actually have 2 more that they don't use, and I'm trying to talk the chief into selling me one to do the same conversion. They use them as there brush trucks and are fantastic off-road trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance