Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Stock 2.9 V6 gasser

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

bhtooefr

Reaction score
I posted this over on TDIClub, but I'll post it here as well.

We've got a 1990 Ford Ranger 2.9 V6, 2WD, auto trans that may need a new engine.

If so, we may well build the truck we wanted in the first place. :D

I believe that the auto trans is best kept, because a manual conversion is going to be very difficult. However, a different auto trans is fair game if need be.

Looking at engine options...

The Mercedes OM617.95x engines are what we're looking at the most. The cars that they were in just happen to have the same wheelbase as the Ranger in question, and weigh more. They also have automatic trannies. In this case, we would use the Benz tranny as well as the engine. I've heard of this swap being at least considered by others, but can't find an actual completed project.

The Cummins 4BT... ah, isn't that the dead horse of diesel swaps into trucks? :D It would need a Chevy trans, though.

The International 2.8 TGV. This is another mates-to-a-Chevy-trans engine. It almost seems that this one is kinda expensive, though.

Just dropping another 2.9 gasser in and living with it.

The factory engines (Mazda/Perkins 2.2 NA diesel and Mitsubishi 2.3 TD) aren't really an option, as they're underpowered, and would be a VERY difficult conversion. Obviously, the 2.9 V6 gasser is a direct swap, seeing as it's just a replacement. The Benz engine is a Benz diesel. :) The Cummins is common enough, it seems.

What say you?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you measured the length of the engine compartment?

I was considering swapping an OM616 into an '84 Toyota pickup a couple of years ago, but it looked to be a very tight squeeze. If I had wanted to do an OM617, I would have either needed to create a doghouse with a BFH and/or relocate the radiator.

FWIW, I don't know what modifications he did, but a 617 swap into a Ranger HAS been done. There was one posted on eBay a couple of months ago. I think he hooked it up to the Ranger's 5 speed manual.

Also, I don't know what you know about M-B setups, so I apologize if I'm repeating info you already knew :) but the M-B automatic does not have an overdrive gear (even though it's a 4 speed). If the Ranger tranny has overdrive, it might be better to adapt the 617 to the Ranger tranny, or you might also consider re-gearing. IMHO the 617 is happiest cruising between 2500 and 3000 RPM from a power and economy standpoint; you can use the RPM calculator at http://www.ring-pinion.com to determine what the ideal setup is, depending on what speed you primarily drive at.

Just some thoughts...good luck! :cool

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run Dodge trannies behind the Cummins too. The 4BT & & 4BTA are popular swaps into Jeeps, Scouts, Jeep M-715 5/4 ton pickups and Old 50's model Military Dodge M-37 3/4 ton pickups.

The Cummins is a pretty good sized engine, basicly the same size as the 5.9 with 2 cylinders loped off, Might be too tall and heavy for the Ranger.

I personally know 2 guys with these engines in M-37s and the move those 6000 lb trucks down the road nicely

This guy does these swaps for a living www.mseriesrebuild.com I've seen 2 of his swaps while they were in progress (the M715 and the M152 on this page http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/photo_gallery2.htm# )and his work is top rate. Charle is a great guy and would probably answer any questions you had about the Cummins swap.

This is another friend of mine with the M-37 / 4BT swap, I've ridden in his truck and also Chased it in his M38 Jeep and it moves. http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/

Good luck with your decision.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I voted for the 4bt. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When Lynda's 22RE dies, her 4Runner's getting one. ;Sweet
What's going to be so hard with swapping to a stick?
Pull the auto shift lever off the column and toss it.
Cut a hole in the floor for the new shifter.
Install a used pedal assy from the auto wreckers.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I have found a 87 or 88 Ranger 4x4 factory diesel turbo with a 5 speed . That is sitting in a friends junkyard I get get for cheep the only thing Im worried about is parts to rebuild or repair it.

aussiedave

TOKEN AUSSIE
Reaction score

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Hey H2odrx I can the truck for around 150 or so. Not like Im out a whole bunch unless I start in on the parts for it.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I have found a 87 or 88 Ranger 4x4 factory diesel turbo with a 5 speed . That is sitting in a friends junkyard I get get for cheep the only thing Im worried about is parts to rebuild or repair it.

i'm usually around the centerburg area, if you don't buy it let me know and i'll take a look at it. i'd love to have a diesel 4X4, even if it's a ranger ;Really

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
:backoff :backoff hey wait a min i already asked!!!!:shoot: :backoff :backoff :backoff

tell ya what, we can race there :rotflmao

nah, i'd like to have one but parts are a bear to find and i'm looking at a pretty nice IDI i might get my hands on :D hope so, then i can finally join in on the diesel love ;Sweet

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Until I can get it to run.... I know it needs a trans top cover and a couple of new batteries, 4 tires that match and a rear bumper. Oh and a diesel ranger badge for the passenger side:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance