radiator shopping

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Mine never moves past the N in normal even with 90 degree days going up Rogers, Marias, or McDonald pass pulling 15-20k. the electric fans running on high constantly does help alot. and WarWagon you must have hit a muley or a big whitetail. I usually dust white tail doe going across 200 to Jordan and dont have any damage to my truck at all. If you need parts just let me know Ive got tons, im just an hour west.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm thinking about getting an OEM one from one of the local parts stores. It might need a thermostat too. A new one should cool better than the old corroded one did. I don't want to be modifying things too much. I want it to still fit and look OEM.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Dont get a thermostat from a parts store, the aftermarket ones never seem to work as well. Just about everyone here will tell you to go to Ford or IH for a new t-stat.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got standard replacement from O'reilly for about $300 and it's been working just fine. It's only 3 row instead of 4 row, but the 3 rows are larger so they have the cooling capacity of a 4 row. My truck doesn't break a sweat moving 20k.

You are luck, my new 3 row wouldnt keep cool at all towing.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I bought a new all copper Modine radiator. They bring a pretty penny now, but still worth it. It's a 3 core that's thicker than the stock 4 core. Pulled heavy equipment through the mountains of Virginia. No overheating even on hot summer days with the pedal on the floorboard as long as you care to hold it there. The best part is... Lifetime warranty. Another thing I like about all copper is that if you get a crack or leak... just pull it out, dry it out, grab a propane torch and some acid core solder.

Just my $0.02 worth. For a stock replacement, I've sure got my money's worth.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a modine - it did well for me also .The only problem I have is the top tank weeps where it is soldered to the core. I can't fix it because it will void the warranty. 2nd time same place -I use Fleetgaurd & have wondered if there could be some kind of reaction to the antifreeze. In the same token a reaction doesn't make sense or Fleet gaurd would be on every bodys s*^t list.

Last edited:

93Diesel

Reaction score
Got a Modine all copper radiator in mine about 4 years ago. Shop damaged the oem 4 core then replaced it with a new three core. The old 4 core had been soldered by the prior owner and there were signs of corrosion. The three core has not given me any trouble. However, the automatic transmission, when it get's hot, it boils over trough the dip stick :dunno

P.S. I pull a 10k fifth wheel trailer with my truck

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those Modines are well made. The load I used to haul was an excavator. Total weight for the towed load was around 15k. Wouldn't set any land speed records, but it would out pull my boss' 2001 2500HD with the 6.0 gasser. AND get twice the mileage. Made him so mad.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anyone with more comments about the Rodney Red?

I had the first one made up by those folks, they don't take quite as long now that he has the templates in his computer. Those things are amazing. They are not to be confused with the aluminum rads you see on ebay or sold at other sources that all have flimsy stamped aluminim tanks , these things have tanks made of heavy aluminum plate , all welded up, not soldered . I'[m not scared to sit my big carcase up on the thing to work on my engine, I'd be terrified to with one of those cheaper ones. A friend had one of the ebay jobs, it lasted just over a year before springing a leak, that luckily we noticed when going in to do some other work.
The rodney red has 2 huge tubes that give teh coolant more coolant to metal surface area than any other rad out there.
I lost my fan clutch coming back from CA this last fall grossing over 18k with only a 16" electric pusher fan and made it over the Rockies just fine ;Sweet

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL, how much did the rodney red cost you?

I lost my fan clutch coming back from CA this last fall grossing over 18k with only a 16" electric pusher fan and made it over the Rockies just fine ;Sweet

What kind of pusher fan setup are you running?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I had some perfectly good radiators but i got to hurtin for money and i hualed them off to the scrap yard, got 100 dollars a peiece for them:sly