quick ZF question

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can one drop the tail cone off a 2wd ZF, and install a transfer case, either OEM 1356, or NP208?

Or is it as involved as swapping out tail shafts, e.g. tranny has to come apart.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you have to convert the whole trans unfortunately.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, never mind.. I will either hold off or runa divorced 205.

Since we killed the diesel centurion project, like dead.. mama has okayed an oil burning two door.. have line on a 180k NA 7.3 2wd for about what I sold my 300k motor trans for.

Bonus to the 2wd is it is still in a .75 ton p/u that runs and drives, so it has usefulness until it yields a motor.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah to make this happen you would have to have the entire rear half of a 4x4 or F450 ZF5. I believe a gas one would even fit, but the bosses where the 4x4 shifter mount on the side of the rear trans section are a little farther forward which would require some farbricating to make the shifter come through the floor in the right place. The little bracket that connects the 4x4 selector on the trans to the one on the transfer case is even an inch or so shorter on the diesel transmission.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lets see if I snag this truck.. that may work.

just tentatively set up a trade deal to where I flip the 2 door bronc for a 4 door bronc...

4dr, has pro built (and receipts) E40D.... that might take some of the wind out of my sales to do a diesel swap, and the half ton axles are already regeared....

Might make more sense to leave it alone...

But the wifes truck, on the other hand, I would love to see a IDI in place of the FE, and... I have a line on a set of 3.73 geared Pooperduty axles for reasonable....

stepping that up from 4 wheel drum breaks and a tired FE to 4 wheel disc.. and an IDI.. would be pimp.

Hence presenting a need for your tranny.