QUICK TIMING REMINDER PLEASE

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Well, I'm flying home for 9 days and among the to do list while I'm home is to install the Baby Moose and matched BB's I ordered from Conestoga. The 91 is getting worse and worse mileage and power is dropping off. I've know for a while the pump was tired, but the wife's telling me it's wanting to stall pulling away from a stop and when feeding cows, and she's afraid to pull the gooseneck to haul calves to the sale here in a few weeks, so it got to the MUST level.
I have access to a Ferret and I've used it before but it has been a while. This is going to be a stressful situation so I don't want to be trying to remember anything. It looks like the agreed on setting is 9* for a turbo engine. Anyone care to give or point to a resfresher course?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed timing is 9? put me down for a disagree lol.remember the more fuel,the higher cylinder pressures.retarded slightly to reduce them as you add fuel.
i prefer 7 BTDC with intercooler and maxed ip.reduced engine noise pollution,same economy,she tows much easier,and turbo spool up is much quicker than 9 too.try it.you'll see.experiment since you've got the meter.iv run 9 and 10 before.not impressed.noisy and laggy.
refresher;
bring engine up to operating temp.
clean up # 1 fuel line and clamp on the piezo.
hook up timing light and set the advance to 8 BTDC (plus or minus two.)
set engine rpm to 2k.
line up o degree on balancer.
make ip adjustments only with engine off or risk ip shaft damage.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm flying home for 9 days and among the to do list while I'm home is to install the Baby Moose and matched BB's I ordered from Conestoga. The 91 is getting worse and worse mileage and power is dropping off. I've know for a while the pump was tired, but the wife's telling me it's wanting to stall pulling away from a stop and when feeding cows, and she's afraid to pull the gooseneck to haul calves to the sale here in a few weeks, so it got to the MUST level.
I have access to a Ferret and I've used it before but it has been a while. This is going to be a stressful situation so I don't want to be trying to remember anything. It looks like the agreed on setting is 9* for a turbo engine. Anyone care to give or point to a resfresher course?

This ought to help you out!

Sounds like you may want to adjust some timing, so take a look here

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sho...ight=IP+timing

Good luck if got questions maybe can assist further.

Al

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I usually do a lot of reading and studying, but this time I have to get a lot done in a short time. Probably at least the the 10th pump and injector set I changed personally, just never had access to timing gear till lately!
This is the 91 in my sig, 7.3 5spd 4.10's. Never sees much highway, mostly secondary roads, hauling a few bales of hay and then hauling 15k or so pulling the gooseneck. It has a Banks sidewinder on it w wastegate. No IC. 150,000 on the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online