quick question, changing injectors

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my BB code injectors are coming in tomorrow and im gonna put them in.. just making sure im not missing anything

1. do not dirty the new injectors and keep every thing clean

2. don't bend lines as they can break and or bend and thats bad.. mmk

3. soak my orings in oil before putting the top one on first and rolling the 2nd one over it to the bottom

4. make sure i get all copper washers out of the holes

5. make sure return T's are seated properly and all lines are snug

6. something about putting KY jelly... everywhere?? what the hell?? haha, any tips??

http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?6.9L Injectors i got some info off of here and surfing lots of other threads and pages.. but can not find the KY jelly thing again

and is there any tricks, common problems, or anything i forgot?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
check the insides of your new return caps for burrs and flashing before installation.
good antiseize on the injector threads.

but yea, sounds like you've got the list.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You don't need to soak the o-ring's in oil.
Just use petroleum jelly on them. You can probably get by with clean oil.
If you don't have the above, move on to the bedroom products. Lol

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
What about cleaning the injector bores? I'm curious to what the opinions are. I use compressed air around injector and vacuum with shop vac at the same time before removal. Then after a turn or so of the injector I repete. I vacuum bore again after removal. I never liked touching the bores after the injector was out for fear of knocking dirt inside pre cup chamber

slim072590

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a shop vac and air compressor when I did mine today... took about 3 hours total

And it fixed my knock

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is a day late but it may help others. When an injector comes out and you see lots of crabon in the bore that tells us they copper gasket is damaged. Loose or missing. so cleaning out the carbon is a must. Make sure the gasket is out of the bore. Now take a pionted dental pick and drag it around the seat in the head. If it sticks thats telling you the seat is cut and needs reaming with the seat reaming tool. Most heads will not have an issue with the seat but when you do nothing can repair it but cutting the seat with the tool. No worries with the cast iron falling into the cylinder because its chips and not send out a sprial of metal like drilling aluminum or carbon steel. Might use some grease on the cutter head to collect the cast iron too. Now the torque on the injectors is 35 lbs but a little more is not a problem. No a little is not 50 or 60 lbs either. Might install the o rings on the rear hard to reach injectors before you install them too. As for the comment about the return caps.. Yes. some have a casting flash of sharp plastic that cuts the o rings. I use an exacto knife and run it around the cap opening. I recleck the edge for any burrs. KY is a bedroom water based lube for something special and not to be confused as a good lube on our trucks...:angel: If its all you have then use it but only as a last choice..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online