pyrometer

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is best to drill and tap the pyro sensor into the exhaust manifold for a more solid mount. This will also ensure more accurate temp readings.

gandalf

Reaction score
It is best to drill and tap the pyro sensor into the exhaust manifold for a more solid mount. This will also ensure more accurate temp readings.

Can you do that? Mount the sensor in the exhaust pipe after the manifold? Of course you can. You get a more true reading the closer you are to the manifold, though.

Mine is mounted in the exhaust, driver's side, just below the flange for the manifold. It's held in position by a hose clamp type thing which came with the sensor.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys bother tapping it from the bottom or will "In from the top" between cylinder's 6 and 8 work just fine? Anyone know what the I.D. of the manifold is, by chance? My probe seems a bit long...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cast iron drills easy. But cutting the tapered pipe threads is a whole nother thing. Do it wrong by going to deep and the threads will never seal. Know what your doing before you try threading cast iron tapered pipe threads. Find a piece of scrape cast iron and see if you can do it. The manifold is about 1/4 inch thick and about 1 3/4 inch inside diameter or so. How long is your probe. Usually these better probe have a fitting that screws into the manifold. then the probe screws into that.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed mine today. In from the top between 6 and 8.

I used a "Q" drill bit and 1/8th pipe tap that matched the probe I have. Only ran the tap in a little under half way. That was almost too much. I had to thread the fitting in all the way to the shoulder, but it sealed. I thought my probe was a little long also, but I couldn't get it to bottom out, so I guess it is plenty deep inside the manifold.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That digital one on eBay has a short probe. (Sorry I don't have a link right now)
I believe it was a 1/4x20 thread.
I just left the engine running while drilling and tapping. May be best at high idle.
But anyways it sealed up pretty good. Used some copper antiseize.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what mine looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect. That picture is exactly what I'm going to do. Guess I better get this taken care of so when the gauge gets here I can just connect and go.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have mine in the pipe, but I would like to relocate it to the manifold. I was also told to account for a temp drop when mounting the probe farther from the cylinders. I believe 1250* is the max so I never let my guage exceed 1100*.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always put mine in the passenger side up pipe (or Y pipe) within 3" of the manifold. There is no difference in temperature reading at this location according to a heat gun, and your sure to collect data from all 4 cylinders on that side. Conveniently, it's easy to get a power drill up to this spot from underneath on most trucks as well. We use the clamp on probe kit from ISSPro.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have both my probes (double sweep Westach gauge) in the down pipes, just below the manifold/pipe flange.