Put a new seal in and its still leaking...

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Replaced the front cranks seal in my 87' 6.9 IDI and its still leaking! The crank wasn't grooved so I just put a new seal in. What do you guys think?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
How can you tell for sure if that's what it is? Its not a bad leak, it slowly runs out from behind the harmonic balancer down the oil pan and when the fan is running it blows oil to the passenger side of the truck.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
its not the crank that gets grooved. its the actual harmonic balancer... the sleeve goes on the balancer as the seal is on the front timing cover... the sealing surface is the balancer. also did you happen to put some rtv on the bolt and inside the balancer where it slips over the crank?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
No didn't use any rtv. The guy who I borrowed the puller off of said it would be okay. And I cant remember if the balancer was grooved or not.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i like putting rtv on the inside of the hub and on the bolt to keep oil seepage down... need to pull balancer off again and check the sealing surface. sounds like its damaged.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Will the seal be okay still if I pull the balancer off again? It was 26 bucks. Don't feel like buying another one of them haha.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Okay thats good to hear. And where should I put rtv? On the washer on the crank bolt and around the shaft the balancer slides over? And what about the keyway?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Once you get the balancer back on put some under the washer and crank it down. Just make sure everything is good and clean before ya do it.

Only other place other than mentioned you might wanna look for leaks is around the seal where its pressed in. My IH manual states to apply some RTV to this area before pressing the seal in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online