Pulling ZF-5 for freeze plug replacement

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have left the thing under the truck, just shove it back towards the rear axle - IMHO getting these transmission in and out from under the truck is the most annoying part, so i tend to avoid dealing with it unless absolutely needed. But hey, whatever works for you, as long as you get the work space you need for the planned repairs it matters not how you got said work space.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
I'd have left the thing under the truck, just shove it back towards the rear axle - IMHO getting these transmission in and out from under the truck is the most annoying part, so i tend to avoid dealing with it unless absolutely needed. But hey, whatever works for you, as long as you get the work space you need for the planned repairs it matters not how you got said work space.
Yeah I'm doing this at work so I had to get everything out of the way

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have supported the trans from the top with a 4x4 and chain, then move it back enough to do the clutch. Sounds like you got it done. I have also used a cherry picker through the passenger door.

Attachments

• DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 45

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a ratchet strap on a 2x4 that ran through my wing windows. I did have to block it additional so it would clear the steering column. Works Okay and you can support it and raise it, but it's hard to keep the transmission from twisting on you. A comalong with a belly strap would be superior because you could support it at a single point centered above the tranny, I believe, and you have a lot more ability to raise it and you can lower it in a controlled manner.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One other thought. Use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts as they go through to the crankcase.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
One other thought. Use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts as they go through to the crankcase.
Will do. Any thoughts on getting this bad boy up into position? I'm having my wife go pick up some long bolts to line the bell housing back up. I am still stuck with a floor jack for this though, I can't find a trans jack anywhere for borrow or rental...not going to buy one I'm hoping this will be the only time I pull this trans and my other truck has a built 4L80E so I don't forsee any issues there

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking long bolts will hurt you more than help you. The lip on the firewall necessitates a pretty steep angle to get the trans past it, and I've had good luck putting a jack and a block of wood under the crank pulley to tilt the engine back just a hair. If you do end up wanting some guide bolts, I'd get the trans real close and past that lip, and then install them just to guide the last 3/4" or so. The biggest hurdle is the input shaft and the disc, and thats where the alignment tool makes life easy. I've had mine in/out more times than I care to admit, and never had much issue lining it up, as long as you have a clutch tool to line up the disc. DO NOT install bolts and use them to "draw down" the bell housing to the block. It'll slide into place with a solid thud and be fine, then you can install the bolts.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
neat littel trick i did when i was 2wd, take a ratchet strap over your roof, then suspend a chainfall that is strapped to your trans. can easily raise the trans up and then maneuver it with it being suspended and nothing underneath it to get in your way.

Fasterthanyou925

Reaction score
I'm thinking long bolts will hurt you more than help you. The lip on the firewall necessitates a pretty steep angle to get the trans past it, and I've had good luck putting a jack and a block of wood under the crank pulley to tilt the engine back just a hair. If you do end up wanting some guide bolts, I'd get the trans real close and past that lip, and then install them just to guide the last 3/4" or so. The biggest hurdle is the input shaft and the disc, and thats where the alignment tool makes life easy. I've had mine in/out more times than I care to admit, and never had much issue lining it up, as long as you have a clutch tool to line up the disc. DO NOT install bolts and use them to "draw down" the bell housing to the block. It'll slide into place with a solid thud and be fine, then you can install the bolts.
I agree about the bolts, good insight. My issue at this point is I did NOT buy a clutch since funds don't permit at this time so I don't have an alignment tool...parts house said the soonest I could get one is a week out and I need my truck back yesterday... Any tips on doing it w/o the tool?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going to be tough since the bell is part of the zf. On a older two piece system what I have done is line up the disc by eye as close as possible, and then when I got the tranny in as far as it would go, I got my wife inside to push the clutch in as I pushed and wiggled the tranny and it went right in. I don't know if this is possible with the zf setup, you would have to install the slave when the tranny was not in place yet.

And putting it back in is when the straps to the jack and going to hurt you. You need to be able to twist and wiggle the tranny around to get it aligned with the engine.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make yourself a clutch alignment tool!

Find a socket that fits inside the pilot bushing/bearing nice and tight but not too tight to the point of needing a slide hammer to get it out. Then start rolling electric tape on one end of it, you probably gonna use about half a roll. The idea is to increase the diameter of it enough so that it fits nice and snug into the splined hub of the clutch disc. It would be easier if you start with a two-step socket, one that has the end for the ratchet larger than the hex end, that would need less tape to get it up to spline size (or if you're lucky enough may not need any tape at all). When we switched from 4-speed to ZF5 we did not have proper clutch alignment tool for the 1-1/4" ZF shaft, so instead we used some random (I think it was from an import of some sort) tool that fit the pilot bearing good, then wrapped enough tape around the fat end to make it fit inside the ZF clutch disc splines. It sounds redneck as all heck, and probably is, but it works quite well.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always use the touch method to align my clutch discs.
there are 6 spots you can feel the clutch disc,
I made sure it was even on all 6 sides then tightened it down.

the best way, is to have a steel input shaft, off of a *****'d tranny.

good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online