Pulling a Zf 5 Speed Trans?

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rusty old parts truck sitting on blocks, it's a 89 f-250 (4x4 manual) with the motor and whole drivetrain still in it.

All I need out of it is the ZF5 Tranny, the rest is going to the scrapper.

Can someone please list the steps to pull the transmission? I have a big floor jack, impacts and cutting tools and stuff, but very little experience with this.

Just basic steps would be great, thanks!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Pull d-shaft, disco slave cylinder and speedo, pull boot up and disco shifter, support with jack, disco rear cross member support and bell housing bolts, pull back and lower to the ground.

I would take th ecab off if I were parting a truck out like that. Its a cake job then.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this how ide do it remove or cut drive shafts .....if the truck is junk remove the seat, cut the floor or remove trans tunnel, to get easy acess to bell housing bolts .........,remove all 6 bolts....... remove flywheel cover & starter //?,STEP #2-remove 4x4 shifter place floor jack under the transmission mount......cut the cross member at each side next to the mount .......lower the jack ,have someone inside the cab assist with the removal by the shifter or a strap around the transmission,,,

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Damn, didn't see 4x4. Yes, X-case needs to come out as well. I'd torch the 6 cab bolts, undo rad, steering, cut any electric and brake lines, and lift the whole cab and front clip off of the frame. The frame will be worth a bit more at the scrap yard when separated from the sheetmetal.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A member here needs an engine. He just got a truck with a locked up engine. Look for the post "I Bought A New Truck Yesterday".

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.

I just let that guy know about the motor - it's been sitting for a few years though, definitely not ready to drop in and go

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, don't send the truck away until you have installed the ZF in the truck you want it in, you never know what you might need from the donor truck.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I am just keeping the ZF5 as a spare. The one in my '94 IDIT is still running strong.

So what else should I keep from the parts truck? It is leaving sooner rather than later.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO...

Remove the Clutch MC from the pedal, and then remove the two mounting bolts. Keep the MC and slave...together

Also

DON"T CUT the transmount cross member for that truck..people buy those for 4x conversions, also keep the pedal assembly

Keep the inst cluster

Keep the drive shafts, especially the front!

Keep starter and flywheel clutch assembly

Keep front hubs and rotors complete with wheel bearings...IF a Dana 50...

There is a ton of good stuff to keep...

If the rad support is solid...and is tall narrow rad...keep it...

Keep rad...or sell for scrap..LOL

Drop fuel tanks

Keep FSS

DON"T cut fuel lines, just remove the clips properly those are a ***** to find if you find them when you need them...

That's my list off top of my head...for now...

Battery trays if in good condition...vacuum pump...Alt PS pump...Booster and MC...

Ya that's bout it for now...rofl

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Al's got a good list going. I keep an extra transfer case around for good measure. I'd keep the tank selector valve, rabs valve, if for nothing more, to learn how to clean them out and shelf them in a gallon size zip lock bag for spares. The tank filler neck is moddable to allow better fill ups; easier to do to a spare than to worry about taking off of your truck and being under the gun to re install. I'd keep the filler necks, tanks, straps and sending units. I'd love to have an extra sending unit to fix up, makes the swap 10 times faster when you have the new part ready to go in advance.

I am currently flipping a 1990 F150 to fund a gas powered welder and fix my dump up a bit. I can't wait to pay some attention to my 6 ton trailer and start bringing more trucks home to make some money off of. I have seen plenty of trucks sitting in people's yards just waiting for someone to make an offer on. I miss having the ability to do these kind of things, can't wait to get back into it.;Sweet Good luck with your part out.:thumbsup:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al's got a good list going. I keep an extra transfer case around for good measure. I'd keep the tank selector valve, rabs valve, if for nothing more, to learn how to clean them out and shelf them in a gallon size zip lock bag for spares. The tank filler neck is moddable to allow better fill ups; easier to do to a spare than to worry about taking off of your truck and being under the gun to re install. I'd keep the filler necks, tanks, straps and sending units. I'd love to have an extra sending unit to fix up, makes the swap 10 times faster when you have the new part ready to go in advance.

I am currently flipping a 1990 F150 to fund a gas powered welder and fix my dump up a bit. I can't wait to pay some attention to my 6 ton trailer and start bringing more trucks home to make some money off of. I have seen plenty of trucks sitting in people's yards just waiting for someone to make an offer on. I miss having the ability to do these kind of things, can't wait to get back into it.;Sweet Good luck with your part out.:thumbsup:

Thats what I meant...not the FSS but ya...that...rofl..my bad...rofl

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Positive battery cables as well now that I have read Al's list. Injector pump if its good, glow plug harness and controller, fuel filter assembly as well.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the useful replies. I'm gonna have to tackle this soon.

If anybody needs anything other than the ZF5, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert