PSD 7.3 Transmissions Problematic?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've heard from another member that 7.3 PSD transmissions are fragile. I'd love to hear folk's opinions on this as I'm considering a 03' Excursion.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
our trannys are no different than the idi tranny.except ours did get some updates to its internals on the e4ods.the zf5 is no different than the idi zf5

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I've heard from another member that 7.3 PSD transmissions are fragile. I'd love to hear folk's opinions on this as I'm considering a 03' Excursion.

Only if you don't take care of them. For a stock vehicle the tranny is fine.
If your going to play with the engine (HP mods) then you should upgrade the tranny as well.

fuurgoncin

Reaction score
The 03 transmissions are the good ones . all you have to do is take care of it. Install a guage and a good cooler maybe a aluminium pan with a drain plug and you will be fine.
The one I have is the weaker one (E4OD) . I had to install a shift kit and super cooler on mine , along with the guage of course. When I hit 200 more than a few times I change the fluid as soon as possible. So far so good .

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only real difference between the E4OD and the 4R100, is the 4R100 has a PTO gear in it... they are equally as weak. my IDI, even before mods, crapped out two of them. then, with the mods, had it redone the 3rd time with the Trans-Go kit... it cures their weaknesses-which are all fluid flow related. it is THE ONLY KIT that will cure these issues... typical service life is over 100k miles. i have rebuilt them with 40K on them up to 250K on them. it is all in your driving style... slow and easy will get them by, with a bigger, external cooler...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the TruCool kit from Dieselsite, a good trans temp gauge and some type of shift kit for the E4/4R trannys. I was running the smaller of the TruCool kits that Bob sells and ISSPRO gauges and a Transgo Tugger II kit in my E4OD and never once had a problem with it in over 100,000 miles. The 4R is the same tranny.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have an E4OD in my 97 F450 with 301k on the truck. I suspect it's been rebuilt as it works great and shifts very firm.....But having a ZF in my 91 F250 4x4 I still prefer the ZF.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I have never seen a 4R100 with a pto. I can also coment that the 4R100 seems to hold up to a lot more abuse than the E4OD (both in stock form). The 4R100 all have a more aggressive shift pattern than the E4OD did due to better computer comtrol.
Ken

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
the only real difference between the E4OD and the 4R100, is the 4R100 has a PTO gear in it... they are equally as weak. my IDI, even before mods, crapped out two of them. then, with the mods, had it redone the 3rd time with the Trans-Go kit... it cures their weaknesses-which are all fluid flow related. it is THE ONLY KIT that will cure these issues... typical service life is over 100k miles. i have rebuilt them with 40K on them up to 250K on them. it is all in your driving style... slow and easy will get them by, with a bigger, external cooler...

Not all the 4R100 have the PTO. That was a special order. The real difference between the E4 and the 4R is a sensor and many internal upgrades.:thumbsup:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all the 4R100 have the PTO. That was a special order. The real difference between the E4 and the 4R is a sensor and many internal upgrades.:thumbsup:

anybody have any ideas how to get a 4r100 with pto behind my idi?that would be sweet,i could have my automatic back and still have my hydraulics run off the tranny instead of the belt drive junk thats been a nightmare since i bought the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online