Project Blue Goose Build Thread

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rented an engine hoist to pull my engine, and maybe I was just lucky, but it was large enough and adjustable enough (even in 1 ton adjustment) that I had no problem lifting the engine over the radiator mount. I did of course take the radiator out before this. I just really couldn't see doing all of the extra work of pulling the front clip- I'm big into conservation of energy..:D

Extremely thorough cleaning and paint work and...SAFER

To each there own...btw I have hoist big nuff...gantry crane and jd tractor with front end loader

Still remove clip

Lol

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I didn't unbolt the Torque Converter hoping to pull as one unit
Thanks RiotWarrior I'll give that a try.

sassyrel

Reaction score
He wanted to leave the torque converter attached to the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NOT good idea!!!. you WILL end up tipping the snot out of the engine, to get it out. if that tq is left in,,the trans bushing will get gouged bad....been there last summer!!! and no,,it didn't try that!!! also, a short chunk of 3/16 chain,and a turnbuckle, across the top of the frame,, to put under the front of the trans,,to hold it high in the air...otherwise, when it breaks free, the top of the trans will drop like a rock....and then the tq will fall out,,at a angle,,and still tear the trans tq bushing up.....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbolt torque converter..slide it backwards away from fly wheel...engine omes out much easier...couple hundred pulls and only maybe less than 6 did I leave coverter for one reason or other....but if I left it it was cauze it couldnt be undone for some reason

KnockKnock

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see the stem on the TC at risk of getting banged up or bent, but mostly just in the way if you don't leave it in the trans, but I'm far from an expert here, so let us know how you decided to do it in the end & how everything turned out. :cheers:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Well unbolting get the Torque Converter was a wast of time don't have a socket that short to get in there so I'm going to try and slide the Transmission off and leave the Torque Converter on the engine. Only other option is to remove the Raditator support and pull both together but then I have to fight 30 year old rusted bolts for the body mounts. :mad:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
It was hung up on the dowel pins
Now it moves up down side to side so I'll try to wiggle it out tomorrow.
Or do y'all think it'll break free once I start pulling the engine?

I apologize for the stupid questions but it's my first time pulling a automatic.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no don't pull the engine out until you wiggle the trans loose.you wouldn't believe how hung up mine was in chip truck when i first pulled it (upgrade converter/pump mod) i had to wiggle and pry that mother for i think over an hour!
im sure you did but in case not,be sure to spray the dowels with penetrating oil so it can be soaking overnight for ya.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
always unbolt the torque converter first.
the only reason you should leave it bolted up to the flex plate is when the engine is locked up.
and it WILL make a huge mess.
a box end wrench, with another doubled up on it for leverage works great.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
These are the Torque Converter bolts not very easy to get too

Might as well take the core support and pull engine and transmission together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 62