Project Big Red

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a heat gun on the factory stripe, side moulding, and window sealant. Then finished clean-up with lacquer thinner. Worked really good! Mine finally goes to paint this weekend........ BTW, your truck is LOOKING GOOD!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah wire wheels are my friend until they start throwing wires. Then you better have your safety glasses on.

Looking good. Crazy how long some of that "small" stuff take. Looking good.

- Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah wire wheels are my friend until they start throwing wires. Then you better have your safety glasses on.

Looking good. Crazy how long some of that "small" stuff take. Looking good.

- Jeremy
Amen to that.

I used a heat gun on the factory stripe, side moulding, and window sealant. Then finished clean-up with lacquer thinner. Worked really good! Mine finally goes to paint this weekend........ BTW, your truck is LOOKING GOOD!

Yes a little heat gun went a long way taking the tape off. It was relatively painless comparatively.

i used a cup wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder.

I probably could have used the wire wheel on the tape but the sealant was REALLY GOOEY. Last thing I wanted was that crap flung all over the place. Some acetone and a lot of elbow grease would get things pretty clean after I got the initial bulk off of it with a putty knife.

I need to find out what that crap was so I can use it to put the windows back in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to poke a sore subject but regular seam sealler hardens over time and it doesn't rain much where you are. ;Poke

I'll have to look into that though. Wouldn't have thought of it. I know not to use regular silicone because it will cause rust. Most RTV's produce acetic acid (or something similar) as they cure. Its a wonder there wasn't a damn big rust hole there anyway. If you notice there is a big bare metal spot at the bottom right of that window opening that was there when I pulled the window. That window had been messed with before. Probably the ******* that cleaned the goo out the first time wasn't careful with the solvent and it softened up the paint and fell off. I don't really want to use the hard ureathane windshield stuff because if it ever has to come apart that would be challenging.

Anyway, its all cleaned up. I need to weld in a couple tabs to accomodate the OBS window mount screws and I should be about ready to prep and mud this side.

Anybody have any tips for pulling windshield molding? I'm going to practice on the parts truck. The moldings on it are all buggered anyway.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Windshield mouldings just take a special tool to release the clip. Easy Peasy. My tool looks like the one on the right. Works fine. No issues.

You just run it around between the moulding and the glass until a corner catches a clip. Rock it until the corner lifts the clip slightly and releases the moulding. Once you get one off the parts truck you'll have no issues. Could probably use a screw driver, but the tool makes it so easy and is probably 5 bucks at any auto parts store

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of using butyl tape. The factory stuff seemed to be very similar, however I'm open to any ideas or would gladly buy the factory sealant if anyone can identify.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The urethane stuff gets pretty hard. It cures firm. This stuff definitely was a rubber like material.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much to report. Met up with F350camper, pafixitman and doubleSdiesel (sorry if I butchered those) at a local cruise in. Good to put names with faces.

I took the trim off the windshield on the parts trucks to learn how to do it on mine. Top and sides came off easy. Had a hell of a time with the lower clips. I'll take pics of them and post them. I understand now what I was doing wrong. They are different from the others. But I wanted to watch the end of the bama game. LOL

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you've seen the other 2 threads I put up, it sums up things pretty well.

I'll edit and add links here.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=872578

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=872575

On a different note, I'm trying to decide how to clean this thing up. To I just wash it?? With the bare metal, I don't know what to do but I've got to get the firewall cleaned or I'll have dirt everywhere when I go to paint it. I figure I'll blow it off good before it goes in the booth but I got to do better than it is now. Need to get some paint inside the cowl too. It doesn't look too bad but you can tell the paint is thin.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online