Project Big Red

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you are considering it, I got a promar idi t engine and gave them a non turbo core and it was not accepted. Can't really remember how it played out but it was a rather expensive mess up. Didn't cross my mind at the time that it would matter. Then for months I drove around with bad vibrations not knowing that the turbo motor took a different harmonic balancer. Still not sure that the flywheel is balanced correctly for the idi t.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. It adds up quick. Anyway, meant to share this yesterday and forgot the picture. This was the contraption I put together to have enough lift for the tranny and didn't end up needing it. Turns out it works great for supporting the door with some help from a half pool noodle for cushioning. Holds the weight but you still have to guide it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then as IDIoit suggested, I started making a list.

Yep. It's long. [emoji23]

I was cruising fleabay the other night because I've been thinking about doing custom valve covers. I thought about finding a set of international valve covers, cutting out the raised letter section and welding it into my valve covers. But I found these.

They are decals made to go on valve covers to keep from having to paint them. I think I'll nickel plate the valve covers and put these on and maybe clear coat them. It would be something I haven't really seen and I think it will be a nice touch.

Can't wait to see this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Small bit of bad news... I talked to energy suspension and they won't sell me just a half bushing. Have to buy a set. -cuss

Guess the search continues. It's here somewhere.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally, i know exactly how frustrating this can be.
are these the ones you're using?
if so, pm me your address.
ill send it to you.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a 4064 by chance? I'd gladly make a donation if it is.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, bushing part is in theory coming. I started some exploratory surgery tonight.

Pulled the molding off and started probing. Then took the sander to it.

I get the rot along the bottom but the spot up higher confuses me.

First incision and now we know why this rusts out. Really Ford???? There is a big foam piece glued in here that I guess was probably to stop rattles but really functions as a sponge to hold water in there. So I cut back some more.

You can see the line I put on the fender. That's where I want my seam to end up. It's where the molding would normally go. I usually would not put the molding back on but if this goes bad.... That's my backup plan. [emoji6]

Cleaned it up with a wire wheel a but to see what I have. It's starting to eat the inner part too. Now I have to finish peeling it back and clean up everything. There will be holes on the inside to allow me to paint that inner portion...heavily... And no foam so it can dry.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me. Some of the foam crap they put in places amazes me. Holds nothing but rot.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a pic of up in the fender above there and it looks pretty good from what you can tell.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you gonna bend up some 16 gauge?
or do you have a patch panel?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The upper spot looks like failed paint, not coming through from the backside.

That was my assessment. Nothing on the inside.

I'm adventurous enough to roll my own small bits in the floor but no I have the patch panels for the corners. Have to see if I can sneak away and get rid of some spot welds and finish cleaning that side up.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read bits and pieces of this thread over the last couple of years, but I just got finished reading the whole thread from beginning to end. All I can say is WOW!
There's so much information here that I'm going to use for my F350 CC DT360 build.
You do very nice methodical work, Laser. ;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Did you have to point out the couple years part?? Damn. It's been a while. This was supposed to be a year tops project. So much for that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have to point out the couple years part?? Damn.

i thought that, but didnt say anything.:D
dont get discouraged man.
youre doing a hell of a job,
projects always take longer than expected.

if it makes you feel any better, i started my convertible project 2 years ago, got it all down to bare metal, then havnt touched it.
and my MANchero ive been building for 10 years.
you're on the right track!!!
;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86