Project Big Red

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have to point out the couple years part?? Damn. It's been a while.

Believe me, I know what you mean. I picked up the F350 CC 4X4 in my signature four years ago.
Originally, it was a 460 C6 truck. My original plan was to find a Cummins and a 4X4 ZF, slap 'em in and drive it like I stole it. After finding a Cummins and a 2WD ZF, I also got my hands on a couple of Brownies. Plans changed; life happened; blah, blah, blah.
Did I mention it's been four years? :D
Keep at it, you're inspiring me. ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, lasers attention to detail is second to none. With how thorough you are with everything and how much you have left..it wouldnt surprise me if you have another 6-12 months left on it. I definitely admire your relentless attention to every.single.component. this will be a totally brand new truck once its done, i don't have the patients for such detail, alas I will always be complaining about mine im sure lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the kind words guys. Not sure it's deserved but I appreciate it just the same. I look at it and see things I've done wrong or things I've missed every time I look at it. I try to make it right. This really is my first frame-off like this and I've said it before that really, the reason I went ahead and did it (besides shear stupidity) was to see if I still had the nerve to do it. Right now, I'm not as sure as I was. I have had to learn a bunch of stuff as I go which doesn'nt make it go any faster either. I really want this thing back on the road. I've never even had tags on it so I have never been able to get it out and drive it. I want to pick up a camper and enjoy some traveling. Maybe even make next years rally. I wanted to make this one but... that's not happening. I just can't justify doing it when the trucks not done to show. It really feels like I'm getting close. If I don't get bogged down in the details too bad and pull back on a couple of the extra's I want to do that can be done later, I think I'll be driving it this fall. I hope so anyway. :rolleyes:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am no expert,
but i have done several off frame restos.
complete builds from scratch,
and modified ALOT of vehicles

take it from me, its well deserved.
do you know how many projects ive bought that were taken apart to never to be put back together?
you didnt sell it, you kept at it.

anyone with the ambition to keep going gets a brownie point.
and
you get a cookie when its done..:D

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Dude you are doing an inspiring! job on this outfit.;Sweet KEEP IT UP...This is the time on big projects like this when you wonder what the heck you were thinking but...believe me I have been there... it is also almost the end... and then you'll have a bad ass rig. That list seems big I know but it helped me to categorize the list and knock off a few every time I hit the garage. Have a beer and tick a couple off every once in a while and before you know it your DONE.
Cheers

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
That was my assessment. Nothing on the inside.

I'm adventurous enough to roll my own small bits in the floor but no I have the patch panels for the corners. Have to see if I can sneak away and get rid of some spot welds and finish cleaning that side up.

Where did you get the panels from? My corners are in similar shape and I planned on evaluating them this summer.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the panels from? My corners are in similar shape and I planned on evaluating them this summer.

LMC. I ended up ordering it all from them just because when I piled it up it, there was enough to get the free shipping which made it a touch cheaper than piecing the order together from other places. They are harsh on shipping. Lots of places sell the panels. I'll have to look and see what brand they are. LMC doesn't make anything, they are just a reseller.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
your still better off on cab corners then my old ext cab was... and you should have seen the farm truck i parted out. the bottoms of the corners were mostly solid but had holes in the middle of the panel about chest high on the door on the ext cab portion... floor pans were clean too. guess that's what 7 years in a farm field will do to a truck.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't got much done but I did get my bushing from energy suspension.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully measurable progress this weekend.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the bushing installed with new bolt. Did some more cutting. Not surprising, found some more rust. [emoji35]

Hopefully I'll get this cleaned up and button this side up tomorrow but the way things are going who knows.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look too bad really. Other than the surface crust looks to be solid. That's good! Shiny metal underneath.

Just remember that all the rust repair really is the Glory Work of a rebuild!!! :D :D

Looking Great as always!

- Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[emoji35]. Didn't want to cut this far but....

Now I just have to decide what my limit is and work up to it and get it done.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geeze. It's been a while. Funny how life gets in the way. Finally getting back to this. I treated this all with metal ready and hit it with two coats of POR. Made sure to get it really heavy in the seam.

I painted the inside repairs too. Then I turned to the rear panel and window opening. Not going to say much. I'll just put the pictures up.

Long story short, the back is done less a little more grinding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86