problems since winter this year...PLEASE HELP IM GOING BALD BECAUSE OF IT

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 85 my pride and joy...man she keeps messing up on me...i keep it above a half tank always and every now and then it will shut off like its sucking in air somewhere through the fuel lines and what not...well i put all new o rings on the injector caps...made sure all the lines are tight..noticed my rear tank had a leak so i pulled it off and capped the lines... and took out my selector switch so it wouldnt get bumped... i dont know whats going on if it could be my injection pump or what? it doesntmiss or have a rough idle but when it dies i can let it sit for a day and go back to start it or pull start it and she will fire right up? and when i push the bleeder right by the fuel filter a **** ton of air comes out...does anybody have any ideas?? why is it doing this? its getting old

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try changing out the gaskets called olives in both sides of the filter to injection pump line. That line is 5/16 and so is the olives. The line from the lift pump to the filter has an olive on the top fitting. That line is 3/8 and so is the olive. Then finally on the number 8 cylinder intake port area is a brass fitting that has all the return lines and the injection pump fuel return line going thru it. That has an olive in it too. These olive gaskets do wear out from the fuel and any good injection pump rebuild shop sells them. Midwest Injection sells them. They are cheap so buy plenty...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 85 my pride and joy...man she keeps messing up on me...i keep it above a half tank always and every now and then it will shut off like its sucking in air somewhere through the fuel lines and what not...
This describes a broken pickup inside the fuel tank(s). 90% of the time people complain of stalling with 1/2 a tank etc.

Hope that helps. There are guides here to fix it but I'm on my phone so I cant link you at the moment....