power steering?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i finally got my truck up and moving again. just to be clear i have a 1986 f350 that i swapped a 1994 7.3 turbo into. it fit like a glove well kinda:D but im having a issue with how to do the powersteering. my friend i bought the engine off of gave me this big bracket with a power steering pump on it along with i think a vacuum pump but i cant figure out how it mounts up anywhere. but i do still have all the power steering stuff from the 6.9 do you guys think its worth finding the right bracket or is it possible to get the system off the 6.9 to work somehow. thank you and also if anyone has any pics that would be great! havent found any good pics yet anywhere. thank you!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
hey guys i finally got my truck up and moving again. just to be clear i have a 1986 f350 that i swapped a 1994 7.3 turbo into. it fit like a glove well kinda:D but im having a issue with how to do the powersteering. my friend i bought the engine off of gave me this big bracket with a power steering pump on it along with i think a vacuum pump but i cant figure out how it mounts up anywhere. but i do still have all the power steering stuff from the 6.9 do you guys think its worth finding the right bracket or is it possible to get the system off the 6.9 to work somehow. thank you and also if anyone has any pics that would be great! havent found any good pics yet anywhere. thank you!

A 94 IDI-T would have a serpentine belt setup on it. All 6.9's (from the factory, they may have been converted later in life) have V-Belts for the accessory drive. The mounting brackets, and even the location of some of the accessories are in different places between the V and Serp setup.

So that said, does the engine currently have the Serpentine belt drive, or the V-Belt drive? You can't mix and match between the two..... they need to remain a "set"......

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ +1; and applies to ALL accessories - water pump, alt, power steering, vacuum pump at minimum, A/C if so equipped. Either use all parts from the '94 engine, or all parts from the '86.

Oh wait, important question - what engine was in the truck before the swap?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it had a 6.9 in it previous and it had V belt drive and the 7.3 has serpentine belt. i have everything to swap it over but looking further into it im gonna stay with the serpentine belt system. does anyone have any pics of how the power steering is mounted on their 7.3? i know it is on a bracket that contains a vacuum pump as well. but what does that vacuum pump help operate the brakes? i took out the A/C and it is only a summer driver so im not concerned about heat. thank you!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The vacuum pump is there for the vacuum booster (brakes) and the HVAC controls (vents won't switch without vacuum).

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Maybe this pic will help. You can just see the PS pump at the bottom of the pic. I have no A/C compressor, just the dummy pulley.

You must be registered for see images attach

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another angle
You must be registered for see images attach

Just to note deleting the vacuum pump does reduce the amount of belt area around the ac compressor, I may have to put an idler in to fix that if it starts slipping.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you have all of the parts, it may be easier to use the v belts. The 7.3 in my 1985 f250 came out of a 1992 with a serpentine belt. There's nothing wrong with doing it this way. I just bought the engine, not all of the other parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.