Power steering hiss

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I popped a hose today(rubbing the crossmember) about half a mile from the house. I felt it go and steering started to stiffen up. I only made 2 turns and by the 2nd I had no power at all. Total time was about 20s. I coasted into the driveway and parked it. Napa made me a new hose and I installed it, filled with ATF, and proceeded to bleed. The below video is after an hour of back and forth. The fluid is clear, not milky, so I don't see how there is more air in it. The steering seems to work fine, it just hisses something stupid.

Internet seems to turn up something PSD related about a hose liner that comes apart? But this is a brand new hose.

Any ideas?

I just took it all back apart and the pump is clearly burning the fluid. Once it's dumped out, you can smell the burning. It was also hot enough to melt a wrapper hose that was close to it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved.

The video demonstrates what a steering pump with sky-high pressures sounds like. The other side is right, this side, not so much. They were closing so I was rushing to get out and I only checked the good side. I swear, if I don't go back and check every single thing someone does....

You must be registered for see images attach

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you fixed the problem but you gotta ditch the woman gloves man.

LOL! Like those don't you?

Yeah, it's all fun and games until you go to the dermo and he starts telling you what he's going to cut off. I've done some really stupid stuff with chemicals; it's catching up to me. Ever seen what someone with cancer looks like in those last few weeks?

Nah, I'll just wear the stupid little gloves and hope I'm faster than the knacker man for a little while longer.

BTW, I'm about 40 min from you in Burleson. I know a lot of people in Granbury.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wear ***** mittens ALL the time no matter who is looking or commenting. I treasure my hands and they look well taken care of. Protect what you have now and it will be there later too. I actually double glove when I change oil in my rig. Can't say there is anything else on this planet that wont wash off after you get diesel engine oil on your hands or clothes.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, too, wear gloves every time I work on anything that is not wood.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, if Napa in Alvarado TX makes you a hose and it isn't right, it's your fault. Even if you brought them the exact hose you wanted replicated with instructions to do so. If you didn't catch it in the store, screw you, buy another one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin