Post Pics Of Your IDI

Doakster

Reaction score
She's not a Ford, but the real deal. Personally I think International should have never put a IDI in a truck this size, definitely not up the task of heavy hauling but It's still a nice truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
She's not a Ford, but the real deal. Personally I think International should have never put a IDI in a truck this size, definitely not up the task of heavy hauling but It's still a nice truck.

Umm There is not an IDI in that truck. IDI engines were discontinued in 1994 1/2

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Nice truck.

But...

Personally I think International should have never put a IDI in a truck this size, definitely not up the task of heavy hauling...

;Really
You're kidding right? :rolleyes: :rotflmao

Man you've got something seriously wrong with that thing if it isn't pulling any load that thing can fit in its box. I don't hang my hat on my trucks all being nice, allot of them are worn out and ready to be rebuilt, but I've still worked em hard. My low mile '83 F250 hauled 24,000lb+ loads of hay almost every day for years before I bought it from the previous owner!

Heck, last year we hauled TWO old Camaro's on our 40ft flatbed hooked behind my moms 94 CC. Which had an engine running on 7 cylinders, overheating most of the way, plagued with low oil pressure readings, loaded with 4 grown adults, our luggage, 1,200lbs in tools, 150 gallons of extra fuel, hauling the 40 footer with two 3600lb cars, all the while dragging a trailer with 2 trailer brakes dragging all the way. Pulled through like a champ IMO. The 0 oil pressure readings and over heating bothered us a bit but she kept a cruising like a freight train all the way home after we'd figured the oil gauge wasnt reading correctly.
So don't tell me an IDI isn't up to the task of heavy hauling. :thumbsup:

Doakster

Reaction score
Ive never heard of an IDI being in a heavy duty truck. Can you get a picture of the engine?

This is the only picture I have of the motor at the moment. The IDI were common in heavy duty internationals especially the 4600 & 4700 series truck.

Mine is a 4600 low profile, frame sits a little lower and the tires are 19.5s

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
So thats what they call a "low pro". I always wondered. I use that frame for ordering lots of my parts for our trucks from international.

On another note, YES Ford made IDI trucks in 94. They are the rare and desirable factory turbocharged engines. Large crank and rod motors with the large oil port blocks.

Doakster

Reaction score
Nice truck.

But...

;Really
You're kidding right? :rolleyes: :rotflmao

Man you've got something seriously wrong with that thing if it isn't pulling any load that thing can fit in its box.

It will haul anything, but it usually looses a lot of speed on grades and hills. I has good power down low in the gears, keep in mind this thing weighs twice as much as a pickup. I know numerous people who feel the same about these motors in medium duty trucks, particularly the local international dealer I go to.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Man anything slows down when its loaded to the hilt pulling a grade. I haven't ridden in a single Mack, Peterbuilt or Kenworth dump truck that doesn't slow down pulling a grade with a full load of dirt, rock or what have ya in the back. I see yours is a NA motor too, that there is where they made their mistake. IH was always afraid of turbocharging these motors. But when you get down to it they should have. These motors would have probably stayed around allot longer had they done so. IH didn't even like it when Ford put turbos on them for a half year run. You should seriously consider putting a turbo on that. :)

Doakster

Reaction score
You should seriously consider putting a turbo on that. :)

Probably won't spend the money on this truck, but a turbo would be nice for it. If this motor ever craps out on me, the truck might get a DT466. Or I might just say the heck with it and get something a little bigger. However this truck is in amazine shape for having 292k on it and the motor does run very nicely.