Point of no Return

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Dont worry will grind the paint down before I weld. More pics to come today.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Looking good! Gotta love welding thin sheetmetal! Looks like you have a pretty decent welder judging from the weld itself...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oh no, the picture doesn't do justice how bad the welds look LOL. I rented a welder, 130amp Miller. Flux core......which sucks balls. Will be done welding tomorrow, now I gotta go to work.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
All in all it's going alright. I have a large gap at the bottom that's been giving me nightmares. Will weld the backside as well, then grind everything down. As far as warpage is concerned I do have some, but it's pretty close to factory. Nothing a hammer and dolly can't take out...and this time I can actually get them in there to use them!

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Yeah flux core can be pretty sloppy....I don't even bother using it anymore for that reason! 100% argon is my choice. When it was opened up, were you able to see around the inner part of the wheel arch? I often wonder how much area there is available for crap to gather and rot out the box....wonder if spraying undercoating in would help? Anyways looking good!

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didnt you just cut all the spot welds with a spot weld cutter and put the whole bed side on? Was the donor damaged? Would have probly been alot easier.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hindsight is always 20/20 but you should have used panel-bond. would have came out a lot better, and would have used a lot less body filler. also you shouldn't have butt-welded the panel, but should have used a good pair of panel crimps to indent the repair panel so a litle bit of the panel could fit behind the original panel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The rest of the bed was pretty bad. Wish I had done that body panel crimp too! Learning experience! If anything I can walk away knowing a little more right? ;Sweet

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
panel crimp is nice, But not completely required. I usually bend a few longer tabs back to do the same then butt weld. not the way they do it on TV, But it works and if you dont warp the sheet metal ( shirt welds) then the repair requires very little filler.