Plastic Fuel Lines

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I have the factory plastic lines in my truck, from the tank to the selector, and from there forward. When my selector stuck on me, I ened up stuffing some copper pipe in the ends to get me back going. I would be shocked if it didn't do some damage to the little o-rings in those clip on connections to the selector valve.
I got a new(to me) working selector valve with about a foot of hose off each connection. Is is possible to splice the plastic line together? Just like a rubber hose? or is there something special? It looks like they shrink it over the ends of the clip on connections.
Or is there other options? I would much prefer not to replace all the lines.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
To splice into the plastic lines, just pull/tear back the sheathing over the actual plastic line and insert the line into 3/8 rubber line, and slide the rubber line over the port on the selector valve. Make sure to use the proper sized stainless clamps.

Honestly, I would just replace the plastic and steel with rubber fuel line. But thats just me. If you dont mine my asking, how come you dont want to replace all the lines? I know its time consuming, but for the peace of mind, it'd be worth it for you in the long run. just my $.02

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Napa sells the barbs and ends:

You must be registered for see images

I stretched my frame and used the barbs to convert to regular hose and back again.

It's tricky, you'll need boiling water and a way to secure the barb while you push the tube on. I used my flaring clamp:

You must be registered for see images

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed my 3-tank manual selector valve, I just slid rubber hose over the plastic and double-clamped. It has been that way for many years with no troubles.

Draw lines are 3/8".

Return lines are 5/16".

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Cowboy_Customs said:
Honestly, I would just replace the plastic and steel with rubber fuel line. But thats just me. If you dont mine my asking, how come you dont want to replace all the lines? I know its time consuming, but for the peace of mind, it'd be worth it for you in the long run. just my $.02

Mainly because the seem to all look OK right now. Other then me "patching" together the lines to get one tank working, they look OK. Just seems like a lot to do for no real need to. Plus the one tank I can't draw fuel from is 3/4 full.

Thanks guys, I am going shopping for hose and clamps and ends.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online