Pinhole in oil pan...would JBWeld work?

Mighty Dodge

Reaction score
JB Weld will work. I've used it to patch gas tanks and even lightly scored cylinders in hit&miss engines. The trick is the area your patching has to be totally clean. Use brake clean followed by acetone.

M.D.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep patched a hole in a minivan that had rusted thru drained the oil cleaned with brake cleen and no leaks even when the sold it a couple years later

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a drag car that has had a JB weld patch on the pan for 8 years or more. Just drain the oil, strip it to bare metal, clean it, clean it again and follow the directions on the box. I also fixed the shop truck years ago with it (93 F150 5.0) that never leaked either.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you could always try fiberglass which is what is used to repair gas tanks. If you were to cover it with a big enough piece you might be saving some work in the future.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks!

I'm going to try it. I have a few reasons:

1. I live in on a relatively nice street and am the guy who works on his vehicles in the driveway. (I don't have a garage big enough to work on a crew cab with an 11 ft 6 inch camper on it). This is not popular with the neighbors. Pulling a diesel engine in the driveway would really test their patience and would likely get me a visit by the police.
2. I have so many big projects on my list, I could use a delay on this "unplanned" one.
3. I'm curious about whether it can be fixed "in place". It seems like the consensus here is that it can, and I have nothing to lose by trying it.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether it's better to put on the jbweld by itself, or to use a sheet metal patch over the hole, with jbweld in between the pan and the metal patch?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Monte,
Not sure if the 6.9 is different, but the pan can come off a 7.3 with the engine in. I am walking proof.

That said, next time I would probably just pull the whole engine. 4 bolts are real hard to get to and getting it out and in while keeping everything clean for the gasket is a PITA.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
My van sat on grass for awhile before I bought it and I had the same issue with mine about 3.5 years ago only I had quite a few pin holes. While doing an oil change I wire wheeled wire brushed the pan, cleaned it with lacquer thinner and then went after it with wire again. After cleaning it once more time with lacquer thinner I covered all the holes with two part epoxy. After letting it dry for 24 hours I sanded the spots and wiped the pan down again with lacquer thinner. After giving it a half hour or so I covered the complete pan all the way to the bolts but did not cover those with the same two part epoxy. 3.5 years later it still does not leak at all. I don’t remember the brand I used but I did look around and found the one that was solvent resistant. While replacing the pan would be best long term I can wait and do it when I have time.

gandalf

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion about whether it's better to put on the jbweld by itself, or to use a sheet metal patch over the hole, with jbweld in between the pan and the metal patch?

Monte,

I think I'd just clean the area well, brush any dirt, rust, road crap away. Take it down to the metal, remembering that it may be a bit thin. Once its no longer dripping oil to contaminate your clean surface, mix a small batch of JBWeld and apply it, being sure a bit goes through the hole so as to help hold. You don't need to cover a big area, as long as you have a clean surface. Remember the old saying, "Just a little dab will do ya."

I wouldn't bother with a sheet metal patch. I don't see any benefit, and it would have edges you'd have to seal in order to avoid catching moisture and road crap.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
i just used rtv on my other truck pan.....I swear thats what holding most of the pan together

soupdog

Reaction score
i used jb weld and it works wonders,,,,new type now that bonds in 4 minutes,,,good stuff,,

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Repair Report!

Well, it seems to be holding OK with the JB Weld. Took it for a test ride today.
Thanks to all you guys for the help in deciding what to do. I liked Old Mister Bill's idea about soldering it, but didn't want to chance setting an oil fire off inside the crankcase. If the JB Weld holds, I'm hoping to avoid removing the engine until I have to for another reason. Thanks again!