Paying for other peoples mistakes

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I shredded a tire today because it was a recapped peice of junk, but i have a brand new one in the bed. Someone has put lock-tite on all of these studs makin them a PITA to get off. I got seven out of eight off in about 45 minutes :eek: they where rusted with lock-tite. I got to the eighth and it was cross threaded so bad that all it will do is spin freely. I tried everything I know to do and now.... I guess i'm just gonna heat it up and break it off. Before I do, any suggestions on what I should do? I need this done asap because I have to drive my brothers truck to work

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Man the tire is completely torn to shreds all the way around it lol theres wires and several huge gaping holes out the sides of it

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It'll break off easier if its cold. Liquid nitrogen works best, but its not really common. If you can put some dry ice on it for a while, you should be able to break it off.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I think I have an idea i'm gonna try first, I'm goin to heat it up at the base of the lug nut red hot, grab it with some vise grips, pull and twist. that might get it movin. Dunno though

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Use a grinder and cut the stud off flat with the lug nut. Then turn the grinder and plunge cut the stud and lug nut.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Got any cobalt drill bits? I got a set for such instances where a stud is broken and needs to be drilled.

Who put the loctite on the studs? Whre I come from, we reserve that for people who's driving habits are a little less than safe...I've put red loctite on a couple of people's cars and taken the valve stem core out to let the tire go flat. Both cars I done it to were double parkers who didn't seem to get the message that my dad was in bad shape and if he got rushed to the hospital, my truck was going through or over their cars because I am not taking time to ask who owns it, where are they at in the building and can you please move your car.

You must be registered for see images attach

But back to the problem at hand. Grind that stud off flush as mentioned above. Then take a punch and mark it in the center. Start with a small bit like a 1/8" and drill a home in past the nut. Use LOTS of oil/wd-40, or anything to lube the drill bit. Once you are in past the end of the nut, go to a 1/4" or so and drill again, then a little bigger, then a little bigger and a little bigger. Eventually that nut will almost fall right off.

Make sure you use titanium coated bits at the bery LEAST as they will hold up better to the hardened steel that the stud is made of.

This is how I would remove it. If you keep trying to spin the nut on the stud, the splines that hold the stud in place can be ripped out requiring a new hub.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Got any cobalt drill bits? I got a set for such instances where a stud is broken and needs to be drilled.

Who put the loctite on the studs? Whre I come from, we reserve that for people who's driving habits are a little less than safe...I've put red loctite on a couple of people's cars and taken the valve stem core out to let the tire go flat. Both cars I done it to were double parkers who didn't seem to get the message that my dad was in bad shape and if he got rushed to the hospital, my truck was going through or over their cars because I am not taking time to ask who owns it, where are they at in the building and can you please move your car.
me thinks..you need to have the condo owner down there,,and explain to each of them idiots,,how to park,,properly,,and some of them in that pic,,like two stalls also......................i like your loctite,,and flat tires...:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
me thinks..you need to have the condo owner down there,,and explain to each of them idiots,,how to park,,properly,,and some of them in that pic,,like two stalls also......................i like your loctite,,and flat tires...:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

We long since moved out of there. that place was a DUMP! And the tennants were of the lowest IQ pool possible...LOL.

I'll have to post pics of the new house....we moved in here in Dec of 2011, after moving back home to help my parents out for a year.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
can you weld a nut to it to attach a slide hammer? otherwise i would do the plung cut with a cut off wheel right in the center. that would split the nut in half where you could hammer it right off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online