Owners of ATS prove to be low life Rats

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
technically our trucks could go into regen. and the 08s wasnt so much a faulty program as much as the exhaust system needed redesigned to deal with the excess heat, we still have them going into regen from extended idle and melting exhaust hoses in the shop.

as for our trucks running a dpf and having a regen. a pressure sensor upstream and a heat sensor down stream to to determine its function. a really simple module to control and monitor it and an injector to feed it and it would be a stand alone system. It would likely cost 2500 dollars or so (according to my sources and their calculations).

It will likely not come to that. As I mentioned in my first post to this, the real emissions lowering comes from additives to the fuel and intake system. Propane, Hydrogen, urea, water, methonal, the list goes on. All of them cause a change in the combustion process and its resulting emissions. Mercedes new "super clean" diesel "bluetec" is just a normal high output diesel with urea injection. starting in 2010 all light diesel (and a lot of heavy diesel applications) will have it in place. International is one of the few that hasnt agreed yet on it.

A small company in the in the midwest (google jonathan goodwin) is making crazy fuel efficient duramax powered humvee's and they dont have dpf's.

thats my crazy ***** fest.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
technically our trucks could go into regen. and the 08s wasnt so much a faulty program as much as the exhaust system needed redesigned to deal with the excess heat, we still have them going into regen from extended idle and melting exhaust hoses in the shop.

as for our trucks running a dpf and having a regen. a pressure sensor upstream and a heat sensor down stream to to determine its function. a really simple module to control and monitor it and an injector to feed it and it would be a stand alone system. It would likely cost 2500 dollars or so (according to my sources and their calculations).

It will likely not come to that. As I mentioned in my first post to this, the real emissions lowering comes from additives to the fuel and intake system. Propane, Hydrogen, urea, water, methonal, the list goes on. All of them cause a change in the combustion process and its resulting emissions. Mercedes new "super clean" diesel "bluetec" is just a normal high output diesel with urea injection. starting in 2010 all light diesel (and a lot of heavy diesel applications) will have it in place. International is one of the few that hasnt agreed yet on it.

A small company in the in the midwest (google jonathan goodwin) is making crazy fuel efficient duramax powered humvee's and they dont have dpf's.

thats my crazy ***** fest.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr121208.htm

Pulled from the press release link above

"Diesel emissions are associated with cancer and exacerbate cardiovascular and respiratory ailments, as do smog-forming emissions. The truck regulation is expected to save 9,400 lives between 2011 and 2025, and greatly reduce health care costs. These benefits have an estimated value of $48 billion to $69 billion. The cost of installing the trailer greenhouse-gas-reducing technologies will be quickly recouped through lower fuel use."

And how do they propose to recoup any fuel use?

Every system I've seen has reduced fuel mileage. Some into the double digits. Therefore they will be burning MORE Greenhouse Gas producing fuel to get across their communist state.

zpd307

Reaction score
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr121208.htm

Pulled from the press release link above

"Diesel emissions are associated with cancer and exacerbate cardiovascular and respiratory ailments, as do smog-forming emissions. The truck regulation is expected to save 9,400 lives between 2011 and 2025, and greatly reduce health care costs. These benefits have an estimated value of $48 billion to $69 billion. The cost of installing the trailer greenhouse-gas-reducing technologies will be quickly recouped through lower fuel use."

And how do they propose to recoup any fuel use?

Every system I've seen has reduced fuel mileage. Some into the double digits. Therefore they will be burning MORE Greenhouse Gas producing fuel to get across their communist state.

exactly, thats what i have been saying. the ********!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They write what they want to right, with no factual data to back it up. They figure they are an authority and people will just believe what they say. cookoo

How can they possibly isolate diesel exhaust from all the other polution that is out there. :dunno

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I think that they are full of it. My FIL has been driving and working on diesels all his life and he is the healthiest 69 year old I have ever met. They live in the country and have to burn their trash and he uses diesel to start the fire. That has to be worse than the exhaust of a truck.
They are just going to push their lies and agenda regardless of the facts because it isn't really about clean air or health, it's about them having control.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
there are way less expensive and engine damaging means to make a diesel more environmentally friendly ecspecially our mechanical ones.

1) use WMO or WVO
2) increase intake breathability ie. high flow air cleaners, remove restrictions,
3) Increase the exhaust breathability, ie. larger diameter exhaust, be allowed to be
to remove mufflers for less restriction,
maintain exhaust temps. as far back as at
least Y pipe for or complete burn (same
principal a cat works on),
4) Add a propane injection or methanol injection system.
5) don`t tune trucks to smoke as that gets us the bad attention spend more time to
find an optimal smokeless tune up, YES I DO lOVE THE SMOKE BUT IT GETS US BAD
ATTENTION.
6) here in BC, Canada we have what is called aircare they measure exhaust chemical output with a probe i have seen a 7.3 IDI aircare better than a gaspot from the same year and i believe 90% was the maintenance.

Don`t let them use us a political enviro-**** platform by out rednecking them and show them that simlper is better

Don`t forget 60% of there so called info is based on studies performed by over-educated and under knowledged people (ie. the people that take the vehicle to the shop to get there headlight fluid checked) and the consult the auto manufacturers for advice or plans on how to form policies and the manufacturers see dollar signs and just through more crap on the vehicles in production to make more money and as far as the policy makers who know nothing are concerned it is justified.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
oh yeah and the answer for a particulate filter for stationary diesels was first utilized in Viet Nam by the VIET Cong to mask the smell and to diffuse the thermal image of the exhaust. Basically build a water bong for the exhaust it would catch all the particulates and you would not need a muffler either as it would quiet the exhaust considerably.

I`m surprised the granola eating hippies in California hadn`t already thought of it instead of using multi-billions of dollars to solve a multi-million dollar idea.

In the extreme north I have seen the same application but using the fuel tank, to the keep the diesel from gelling.