Overdrive "OFF" light flashing

discbrks

Reaction score
So I've been driving the truck for the last few days... no problems at all. Drove it home from work, it sat in the driveway for a couple of hours, then I went to help a friend move. I noticed that it seemed to shift harder than normal. Also the "OFF" light on the shifter is now blinking. Any ideas? Why would it happen all of a sudden?
The guy that I helped move works at a transmission shop. He seems to think its the solonoid pack... does this sound right? He said that he could scan it, but I'm iffy on driving 3-4 miles to his shop. I don't want to do more damage.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you have to scan it. by the light flashing it doesnt mean you cant drive it, it could be codes for a tps sensor or something. if its shifting at normal times, but just harder, than dont worry about it and drive to get her scanned. if its in limp mode meaning no OD and real hard shifts, then try to get the scanner to you with out driving to much.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad solenoid pack is fairly rare and that would cause skip shifting or high gear starts. Scan it before replacing ANYTHING.

discbrks

Reaction score
I got it scanned, came up with 2 codes. One was the FIPL our of range, the other was a t. converter slip. The actual code numbers are out in the truck, and its too cold to go out there - but I'll get them if it will help.
Anyway, my buddy cleared the codes and I immediately drove to the CarQuest to get an FIPL. The light did not come back on. Couple of interesting notes here: the current FIPL was from CarQuest, gray colored, and had less than 2000 miles on it. The replacement that he gave me was black. I thought the "better" one is supposed to be gray. Should I just order one from Ford?
Is the converter slip code caused by the faulty FIPL?

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Does it shift fine & does your tach & dome lamp still work?

What does the dome light have to do with it? I have never heard that before. (I am not being smart just very curious since mine has always shifted odd and the dome light is inop....)

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
What does the dome light have to do with it? I have never heard that before. (I am not being smart just very curious since mine has always shifted odd and the dome light is inop....)

when i blew a pcm relay, the tach, scanner port, and some other things werent working properly. perhaps the dome light is one of the things....idk i dont remember.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score

Mine went into limp mode & my speedO died. I started pulling fuses & then relised that the dome lamp was dead too. #8 fuse, replaced it & she came right back to life. Perhaps I should have asked if the speedO was working instead? :dunno

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I got it scanned, came up with 2 codes. One was the FIPL our of range, the other was a t. converter slip. The actual code numbers are out in the truck, and its too cold to go out there - but I'll get them if it will help.
Anyway, my buddy cleared the codes and I immediately drove to the CarQuest to get an FIPL. The light did not come back on. Couple of interesting notes here: the current FIPL was from CarQuest, gray colored, and had less than 2000 miles on it. The replacement that he gave me was black. I thought the "better" one is supposed to be gray. Should I just order one from Ford?
Is the converter slip code caused by the faulty FIPL?

I've been told numerous times, to hold the throttle to the floor, when doing the test. If you don't, it will give you the FIPL error code. Did you have it to the floor?

Changing the FIPL should cancel the TC slip code.

Does that mean that if I replace my FIPL, my TC will no longer slip?!?!?! Sorry Dirk, I couldn't resist! :rotflmao

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I've been told numerous times, to hold the throttle to the floor, when doing the test. If you don't, it will give you the FIPL error code. Did you have it to the floor?

Does that mean that if I replace my FIPL, my TC will no longer slip?!?!?! Sorry Dirk, I couldn't resist! :rotflmao

You have the exception to the rule. ;p:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online