Oil is all bubbly and greyish, POURING out the filter gasket!

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
Good Luck! I know how it is to bust your #### working on something and then have to start all over! Hope its just the filter and assembly lube!

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SUV7734 is right, ck the basics first. Think horses not zebras. If you have to go as far as checking the coolant idea further you can start by pressurizing the cooling sytem and watching for leak off. I wouldn't run it a lot till your sure whats going on. Good Luck.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that water/coolant will make oil turn grey and since the two chemicals are not soluable they make the bubbles. But that doesnt explain the leak. If there was no leak I would say its probably the timing cover gasket/area.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
There is a bypass in the filter header so if the filter does plug the engine will still have lubrication.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that water/coolant will make oil turn grey and since the two chemicals are not soluable they make the bubbles. But that doesnt explain the leak. If there was no leak I would say its probably the timing cover gasket/area.

Since the oil filter is attatched to the cooler and the cooler has oil and coolant running through it and the cooler has been apart I thought that there may possibly be an oversight in that area...gasket, crack?? Hope that is not the case and its simple. :dunno

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
this might be a stupid comment and im shure that you had checked em allready are all the oil pipe plugs there and sealing properly
probably the best thing to do is run the truck and phsyically go down there and watch and see where the oil is coming from

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean, a couple of thoughts for you....

First... You just did a full rebuild. Why put coolant in it yet? You can run it a minute or so with no coolant no problem. I'd have at least made sure the oil presure came up before filling it. I also wouldn't waste any coolant in it, until I made sure it ran fine with just water. Being able to flush the water out after testing would clean it out and confirm that you have no oil in it.

Second... Do some oil flow tests. My concern is that you have assembly lube plugging something, or oil is not going anywhere, hence the reason it is blowing out the filter gasket.

Disable the IP, and just crank the engine with the turbo oil feed line disconnected. Make sure your getting oil up to the top of the engine.

What if any oil presure readings are you seeing in the brief moments that it ran?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm getting about 45psi oil pressure at 1000rpm. But it drops down to 20psi at idle, around 800rpm.
I'll change the filter, pull the oil feed for the turbo and crank on it for a minute to see how much oil comes out.

Since the oil pump was new I put grease in there as well, wonder if I shouldnt have done that...

Those are good ideas for initial start Mel. Wish I'd have thought about that. Only thing was I was afraid to run straight water in the truck because the temps are riding right around 30-32* here during the day.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah... the outside temps would have been a consideration for sure. All those pics of the engine you showed us were in what looked like a garage, and I forgot your comments about being outside. You could have still done the water thing, but you obviously would have had to verify operation, and then add the antifreeze all in the same day.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Putting grease in a oil pump is a good idea. seems in the past things weren't all that good when it came to oil pumps. Some builders would run them hopeing they would pick up the oil on there own.. Sometimes they didn't and the new motor was ruined. So, grease was packed into the gears so they could start pulling a vacuum on the oil that was below them. It worked... Most all you needs these days is to pour some oil into the pump and spin it by hand so the oil coats all the gears and fills the clearances. Using grease insurs this will pick up the oil from the pan much easier. I dought you have a plugged system because of the grease. If you feel this is a problem just fill the cooling side up and turn on the block heater. That will warm up the grease and things will flow... About how much grease and what kind was it that you used???

RedTruck

Reaction score
You've got the obvious things to try before anything else, but I'll chime in with another suggestion. I know a few guys that use a hand operated oil pump to charge the system prior to starting. They thread a fitting into one of the oil galley points and spin the hand pump until they have pressure. Then they maintain pressure for a while and watch for leaks. If you can get a hold of one of these units it may be easier to check for leaks than spinning the engine over.

Hope it ends up just being the filter. I run fleetguard filters and from time to time I've found that the seal lifts from the filter body which could cause some issues.

Good luck. Main thing about this whole deal is to turn it off so your head is in the game at school. The pickup will be just fine until you have the time to work on it.

Paul

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
my contribution is to say that if there was coolant in the oil you would DEFINITELY be smelling it, and not just seeing your oil turn gray.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
my contribution is to say that if there was coolant in the oil you would DEFINITELY be smelling it, and not just seeing your oil turn gray.

Excellent point!!!!!!!!! I completely spaced that off , but I think you would smell the antifreeze before you noticed anything else!