oil filters?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a wix powerstroke filter nice results and why are u all getting so opioniated and rude this site is to help everyone and share there results children calm down

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why be such a jerk while dispensing good advice?

Which filter is 32 micron nominal? If it's one of the MCs, which is it and what is the source of the information? MC filter data is notoriously hard to find.

Vehicle manufacture have a minimum standard for engine oil filters, industry wide with most passenger vehicles.
That rating is in the 30/40 micron range, most all filters in Wal-Mart, Napa, Discount carry these filters, the extra effincency have to be ordered usually and you have to know what you want.
Why do you think MC filter info is difficult to find? they want you to change it often.
just trying to help.

Javier

sassyrel

Reaction score
I use a wix powerstroke filter nice results and why are u all getting so opioniated and rude this site is to help everyone and share there results children calm down

part of the reason,,is because some of us have been at this for YEARS,,others not so much,,but they know it all..................................some of them, remind me of hardcore leftists..............

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's a "filter de-bunking" site..... http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

This is the most complete, non-biased filter study I have ever seen. And since then....I don't even run a fram on my lawnmower!! I run Baldwin filters on most everything and when I can't get a Baldwin, I go to NAPA and get their "Gold" series filter which is made by WIX. The only filters I run now are Baldwin, WIX and Donaldson.
Maybe this will clear up a few Filter issues for some, I know it did for me!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've cut a few filters apart myself, and there IS a quality difference. You DO get what you pay for by and large.

Old Blue

Reaction score
...you can get the better filter @ 10 Micron Nominal rating? Last 3/4 times longer http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51734XE...
Javier

Wow, I never knew you could get a 10 micron full flow filter from anybody! I know fleetguard has that two stage filter with the internal bypass filter in it, I'm not sure what the micron rating is on that one, but I might just have to try one of these "XE" WIX filters next time... Good info at any rate.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMSOIL oil filters have been manufactured by Donaldson, the EAO in the AMSOIL part number is the same as the ELF "Extended Life Filters" series Donaldson filters. One of the TOP quality product's available in the field.

I have cut open 2000 plus filters for inspection and engine condition. I know exactly the maintenance history as I inspect each filter, it all ends up in the filter.

http://www.donaldson-filters.com/037429.pdf

cant buy it at Wal-Mart SORRY!

Javier

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

Some people have fierce opinions when it comes to oils/filters and will fight to the bitter end to prove their brand. Don't take it too harshly, it just happens from time to time.

Also, found this pic:
You must be registered for see images attach

I've been hunting for the Fleetguard LF3974 filter (Just the stratopore version of the LF3630). I plan to run it in my PSD when its back together lol. Fleetguard makes a very good filter and you can find the LF3630 for about the same price as the Motorcraft FL1995 depending on where you shop.

Do some searching for yourself to see what fits your needs and budget.

EDIT: I may try the Donaldson filter that idiabuse mentioned if I can get my hands on one. IIRC they hang down about an inch or two below the pan though. I think that is why I passed on it last time lol

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have fierce opinions when it comes to oils/filters and will fight to the bitter end to prove their brand. Don't take it too harshly, it just happens from time to time.

Also, found this pic:

I've been hunting for the Fleetguard LF3974 filter (Just the stratopore version of the LF3630). I plan to run it in my PSD when its back together lol. Fleetguard makes a very good filter and you can find the LF3630 for about the same price as the Motorcraft FL1995 depending on where you shop.

Do some searching for yourself to see what fits your needs and budget.

EDIT: I may try the Donaldson filter that idiabuse mentioned if I can get my hands on one. IIRC they hang down about an inch or two below the pan though. I think that is why I passed on it last time lol

That is a cool chart you found, notice note (1) no listing in that lineup for it. LOL
The rating of the filters I like to use have this performance capability
AMSOIL Ea® Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K) have one of the best efficiency ratings in the automotive/light-truck market. Ea Oil Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 20 microns, while competitive filters demonstrate efficiencies as low as 51 percent
I think I made a good choice for my engine...

Javier

sassyrel

Reaction score
children calm down[/QUOTE]

keep statements like that,,to yourself..as if your the only male capable of adult input...................

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen this chart before and the efficiency ratings are generally suspect because nobody knows the source of them or the testing methodology for the efficiency ratings shown. For example, if those ratings were the HS806 single pass test, they would be utterly fantastic filters because it takes a lot to break 50% @ 20 um in a single pass test. They are pretty crappy if measured using most multipass test methodology. Too crappy, in fact. Some found these numbers listed as Ford's minimum spec in other documents. The actual filter spec may(probably will be) be different. I know the FL820S is made by Purolator and it uses the same media as the Purolator Classic line of filters and is rated by them at 97.5 @ 20um (ISO4548-12 multipass test), so that gives us a yardstick to compare. Until we know the source of these numbers, and context, I wouldn't take them to the bank.

As to the other MC filters listed, I've never seen anything called out on them but the everyday Wix replacement numbers generally follow the specs of the filter they are designed to replace, so if the 51734 (FL1995) is 19um nominal and has a 2/20=10/30 beta, and the Wix 51742 (FL782) is 25um nominal and has a Beta ratio of 2/20=24/44, the MC specs should be in the same ballpark. Granted, the MC filters are not as efficient as some of the premium filters you can get, but that chart does not represent the real world.

In any case, that 51734XE was a good find and I appreciate IDIabuse posting that info. The efficiency is significantly better than the standard cellulose media 51734 but the flow rate is the same 28-30 GPM. I wonder why the burst pressure is so much lower, though. The regular 51734 is listed as 390 psi but the XE is only 200. Fleet filter lists them as $23, so they ain't cheap. Wonder what the equivalent number Amsoil costs?

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Whats' missing from this discussion ....

What I see missing from this discussion ....

How often do you change your oil ?

Do you change your oil filter each time you change your oil ?

These are rhetorical questions that each member has to ask for themself

For my needs:

Towing 100%

3000 miles driven in two weeks at times

I change my filter with every oil change

I buy the Motorcraft 1995

I prefer Castrol Tection 15/40

I buy oil at Walmart - O'Reilly's - Autozone wherever it is cheapest

I try to buy at Autozone because I have rewards card and if you buy in $20 plus purchases
at a time - you get $20 in merchandise after (5) purchases - wait at least five minutes
between purchaes - the Motorcraft 1995 is $9.99

Autozone will price match on oil - so if you have a receipt for $12.99 a gallon for
the oil you buy - they match it.

Plus they will take your used oil .....

I carry an oil pan and change it in their parking lot so I can dump it when done

Jim

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their opions not input lol and whats ur input bein an a$$?? ur not even on topic now lol