oil drain back

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Just spending some quality time with my motor and was looking for the oil drain back holes under the valve covers. There don't seem to be any.

I know the oil flow to the rockers is pretty minimal, but there has to be somewhere for it to go besides into the exhaust system.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
never had a look at an idi head but there definately should be somewhere for the oil to drain back down as the oil flow is not as minimal as you would think espeacially when you fire up one with out the covers on

suv7734

Reaction score
Here's what you're looking for on the bottom, right. It's the same on the other end of the head as well.

Attachments

• drainback.JPG
    drainback.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 104

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
very good. My lighting is not quite up to ***** in the garage. I knew there had to be a drain somewhere.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yep... Thats the drilled drainback hole. Kinda hard to locate too. Check the hole in the head gasket next.....

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Now do you suppose rerouting the turbo oil return into the valve cover will cause increased oil consumption?

I am either going to route it there or I am going to remove the rubber grommet into the valley pan and glue a threaded bulkhead into it so I can have a sealed return line.

It seems that I was always fighting a little blowby gass excaping around the oil drain line which made a mess on the back of the engine and the underside of the hood

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, my vote would be to return it via the IP gear housing. You could put the fitting in the IP gear bolt cover. Technically, there is no problem with returning it via the valve covers, but I think it's unsightly, and given my experience with Hypermax CDR return to the valve cover, I'd say making holes in a valve cover is a good way to ruin a valve cover. LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney's issue is he has 2 turbos. One already is returning it there.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Barney, my vote would be to return it via the IP gear housing. You could put the fitting in the IP gear bolt cover. Technically, there is no problem with returning it via the valve covers, but I think it's unsightly, and given my experience with Hypermax CDR return to the valve cover, I'd say making holes in a valve cover is a good way to ruin a valve cover. LOL

I'm not quite vish a lyzin what you're sayin here, but if it's going to require pulling the injection pump back off, I'm not too inclined to do that.

Or are you suggesting dumping back into the oil filler neck?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
is there any reason not to return it into the valley pan? i was planning to go this route.

I'm actually reconsidering puncturing the valve cover and going into the valley pan, but I want to get away from the rubber slip grommet that banks sends with their kit. I had a lot of trouble with the grommet pushing back into the valley pan and spent several hours getting the return line in place, plus it never quite sealed completely and allowed oil gas to escape which made a mess on the bottom of my hood.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I'm actually reconsidering puncturing the valve cover and going into the valley pan, but I want to get away from the rubber slip grommet that banks sends with their kit. I had a lot of trouble with the grommet pushing back into the valley pan and spent several hours getting the return line in place, plus it never quite sealed completely and allowed oil gas to escape which made a mess on the bottom of my hood.

right now i am N/A running a RDT from the tube type valleypan gromet, no leaks yet but not sure what a turbo will do for that:confused:

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that awesome pic, suv7734! I am replacing the valve cover gaskets on mine and I could not find a dang hole. I could stick my screwdriver in the hole shown in your pic, but everything is so black back there that even with a drop light and a flashlight and a mirror, I could not see it. Your pic confirmed that my screwdriver was, in fact, going into the drainback hole, so I can go ahead and button it back up. Just wanted to make sure the hole was clear of crud. Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So has anyone talked to or seen Barney lately. I know where his twin turbo engine lives but not any thing seen or heard from Barney for a long time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online