Oil Cooler issues

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my wife's oil cooler recently started leaking oil to the outside. she noticed it and drove straight home. it was a purty good leak... called ford. said bring it in, its not an oil cooler. i said OK. turned out i was right. they then said with the leak it has there is no possible way the water got in the oil. took an oil sample, but still waiting on the results. i say, according to the blow apart diagram i got, the it most likely leak water into the oil. any insight is helpful. THANKS A BUNCH!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also leaked externally. Usually when the orings get bad enough the oil will leak into the cooling system and radiator.

From my experience the coolers not that hard to do and it would be a lot cheaper then going to the dealership.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
When you get your new seal rings, be sure to also pick up the gasket that connects the front header to the timing cover!

There are just 2 bolts that connect it and in the long run----it is better to just remove the entire assy as a whole, as opposed to attempting to lever the cooler core into the front header while still attached to the timing cover.

Looking back....methinks for certain that is what caused my timing cover failure and engine removal :frustrate ;Really

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back....methinks for certain that is what caused my timing cover failure and engine removal :frustrate ;Really

thats possible but we got ya up and running again fairly quick

i doubt it mixed the fluids as well.mines was leaking only when cold.set of new oring and gaskets and all was fine with no fluid mixture happening.take it out as one unit and put it back in as 1 unit.as geo said thats probably how he cracked his timing cover.the end caps are a PITA to get back onto the core with new orings.i use a wreckers boom to pop the ends back on,thats how tough it is to get it back together.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wasnt to bad to get back together, I bolted the front header on and used a prybar and a 2x4 to push the bundle and rear header into the front header. No leaks as of yet, I used the exhaust pipes for a little leverage and it popped together fairly easily with a little assistance.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting the Oil Cooler back together

I used a pipe clamp, Like you would use to Glue Lumber together.

Worked Awsom.....;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine wasnt to bad to get back together, I bolted the front header on and used a prybar and a 2x4 to push the bundle and rear header into the front header. No leaks as of yet, I used the exhaust pipes for a little leverage and it popped together fairly easily with a little assistance.

DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!! as geo said that is probably how he cracked his timing cover

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
The IDI oil cooler front header is cast iron and rigid bolted to the side of the block....FAR superior in strength opposed to the alloy neck on the PSD timing cover.
In simpler terms----There are no issues with prying the bundle into the front header on the IDI ;Sweet 1 hr job at most :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online